Need some good suggestions please
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need some good suggestions please

Need some good suggestions please

Hello everyone, it's been a long time Hope all is well with you.
    I like too ask for some advise for a upgrade for my desktop ( in sig ) about upgrading my video card. My 1800 xt is dying a loud death. It needs to be replaced. I like to play games like " Dreamfall, The Longest Journey" and "Gray Matter", you know that sort. But my v-card screams in pain/ over heating. So I need a replacement. I dont care if its ATI or Nvidia. I just want a good improvement for the upgrade. Not looking to spend more then $150. I'm going to add more ram w/video card purchase.

Thank everyone

P.S. couple things in signature:
    Power supply is now OCZ mod stream pro 600w
    and hard disk space is massive 1.5 tb
    Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

Since prices will vary depending on your location, store, shipping costs, taxes, rebates (if applicable)...
    You can use the following,

Additional info.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Radeon HD 5770/6770
    Radeon HD 6790
    GeForce GTX 460

Either one these will be fine for adventure games. I love them too.

But my v-card screams in pain/ over heating. So I need a replacement.
    Have you tried disassembling the heat sink cover and cleaning it out? I remember playing Dreamfall, The Longest Journey with my 6800 Ultra with overheating problems too. Although the fan looks clean, after removing the cover, I discovered the gpu heatsink was clogged with dust. After cleaning and reassembly, it was functioning well again.

After a close to a year later it had problems booting up and soon it had some serious artifacts. I had the gpu reballed by someone using a bga rework station and it is still in good working condition now. Since they have started using lead free solder, video cards don't last long as they used to.

I didn't know Gray Matter is out. Will definitely check it out. Anything else out there worth playing?

Still patiently waiting for Dreamfall Chapters here..
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Have you tried disassembling the heat sink cover and cleaning it out? I remember playing Dreamfall, The Longest Journey with my 6800 Ultra with overheating problems too. Although the fan looks clean, after removing the cover, I discovered the gpu heatsink was clogged with dust. After cleaning and reassembly, it was functioning well again.
    Thanks Ratt. I'll give it a try before I place a order for a new card.

I don't think I can use a pci-e 2.1 card with my motherboard, can I??

Sherlock Holmes series, Agatha Christie series ( Hercule Poirot ) and Dracula series all good. "The whispered world" and " A New Beginning " different but good. Oh and Siberia I and II. But my favorite is anything "Nancy Drew"
    Last edited by Shervie2; August 5th, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
    Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

According to ASUS, your motherboard has the following Expansion Slots:
    1 x PCIe x16 (Support PCIe 2.0 / 1.0 Architecture )
    2 x PCIe x1
    3 x PCI 2.2
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Quote Originally Posted by Shervie2 View Post
    I don't think I can use a pci-e 2.1 card with my motherboard, can I??
    pci-e 2.1 is backwards compatible with pci-e 2.0.

Have played Syberia I and II. One of the best adventure games that I have ever played. Hopefully Syberia III will be out soon... Whispering World and A New Beginning looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestions.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Thread Information