Which PCI videocard for a AMD k6-2 400?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which PCI videocard for a AMD k6-2 400?

Which PCI videocard for a AMD k6-2 400?

Hey Guys,

Which PCI videocard is the best for a AMD K6-2 400. I don't have AGP so......

TNT2= AGP right?
    Voodoo3 2000= AGP right?

So the best is a voodoo2 right?

Does anyone of you have any comment on this?

The AMD just isn't powerful enough to utilise the TNT card, even though in my opinion it is the better product.

Therefore go with the VooDoo, preferably the 3500

Ah, no you cant go with the 3500, its agp only. the v3 2000 comes in pci and outperforms the TNT on your system by a huge margin.
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

agreed
    simonf@panormania.com
    www.panormania.com

"I know what your thinking.... should have took the blue pill"

The AGP seems make problems with some board (not AMD). I have the ASUS P5A and i will try Matrox G400, V3 3500 and V3 2000pci. Compare and buy the best one for my system. You should do it. Compare.

------------------
    Martin
    Martin

Not to offend anybody, but I say again the v3 3500 is AGP ONLY and so is the G400, his only option for a good video card is a v3 2000 pci, TNT is also pci, but it blows in an amd system. I had one got rid of it as soon as I could to get that v3!
    Vidfreek:

Boy the Voodoo3 2000 is in PCI and AGP, but the PCI is very limitted in numbers. If you don't have an AGP slot you are probably runnig your system at 66Mhz bus speed. Get a new Mother board! You could get an FIC VA-503+ for $70 and run your K6-2 400 at 4x100 instead of 6x66. You can even dump your old 66Mhz memory in with little drop in performance (3-5% but if you have less than 64MB I'd get new memory ASAP) but you will easily gain it back and more with the faster bus speed, AGP, a BIOS that will fully support the CTX core of the K6-2 366+, and most of all a 1MB L2 cache. Then run out and get a Voodoo3 2000 (or 3000/3500 if you have the money).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Guys,

Why should i buy a new m/b for a lowsy AGP support, an extra 512kb L2 cache and 100 Mhz bus?

I have a bAT form ABIT TX5 with 2xdimm sdram 32Mb pc66 en 32Mb pc100 with a Cyrix pr266 oc 300. I'm gonna put in a AMD K6-2 400 for the extra FPU an CPU speed. The need for a PCI videocard is there. Voodoo3 2000 PCI is the only ontion then according to you guys.
    Costs: AMD=$120 (in Holland) - $25 cyrix
    Voodoo3=$135
    Total $210
    Extra costs ATX + m/b+ pc100RAM:
    $70+$100+$80= $250
    Then I should better sell my computer and buils a new one. Or buy a Celeron366+ABIT

for all of your information the V3 3500 will be comming out as a AGP aswell as a PCI

taken from 3dfx.com
    Based on the acclaimed Voodoo3 graphics accelerator technology, the Voodoo3 3500 TV combines the industry’s most powerful 3D and 2D graphics with complete TV tuner and multimedia functionality in a single AGP or PCI board. Featuring support for MPEG 2, DVD, FM stereo with dbx™, and high-resolution displays, the new board includes the most feature-filled entertainment card for hard-core game enthusiasts and cutting-edge multimedia entertainment consumers

[This message has been edited by Djcake (edited 06-02-99).]

This is going the other direction, but can anyone tell me what the best AGP card for an AMD K6-2 400+ nestled in a Tyan 1590S AT 100 motherboard is? I have been reading a number of items on the internet that indicate that a large number of Super7 motherboards have compatiblity problems when it comes to AGP video cards, so I am looking for any useful/reliable information. Has anyone found one card to be better than another?

Thanks.

Scott

Hola again kvvliet! If those guys are right and the V3 3500 is going to support PCI interface, then that would 'technically' be the fastest card for a K6-2 400....or so everyone says anyway. But to be quite honest, I doubt you could tell much of a difference considering what you're coming from. A V3 2000 PCI should be awesome on your system and for the money's difference between the two, it wouldn't be worth it, especially when you consider the fact that most people have been overclocking the hell out of the V3 2000 cards. You'd just be settling for a Porsche instead of a Ferrari if you went with the V3 2000 instead of the 3500...what a bummer eh??

And I'm right behind you on the keeping your current mobo issue...especially since we have the same one. I personally don't see why everybody gets so down on 66 (or 75)MHz instead of 100MHz and PCI instead of AGP. AGP is still pretty much just an acronym with high promises and little fulfillment...for the time being at least. And I'm sure the 100MHz FSB would offer better performance, but come on guys...he's coming from a Cyrix. An AMD even at 66MHz, will be waaaay more powerful than the Cyrix in gaming. Whatever you choose, good luck kvvliet. And let me know how everything works out.
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot

Well you would be surprised what apg and a 100 mhz bus and 100 mhz ram can do, You will definately gain a lot of performance from faster ram and a faster bus speed, I personally can get the same speed from my amd chip running on 100x3.5 as I can running 95x4.0. Plus If you run the v3 up against the TNT, which uses agp, in 3dmark max and games with high texture usage, the use of agp can just kill the v3 that doesnt use it, I mean its fine for now but when games start doing what 3dmark does in their tests, the v3 is going to go by the way side, but of course by then their wont be a v3 anymore so....
    Vidfreek:

I totally understand what you're saying Vidfreek and I don't doubt at all that there is a difference in performance between 66 and 100 MHz FSB and PCI vs AGP. I was just trying to make the point that difference in gaming performance from the Cyrix he's currently on, to the AMD he's upgrading to (regardless of FSB speed), should be substantially greater than the difference between an AMD at 66MHz and 100MHz FSB. In other words, he's coming along way and won't really know that he may be missing out on a little bit more performance. I plan on making a similar upgrade to a K6-III 400 once the prices drop to around $100 so hopefully RAM speed differences won't be as big of an issue thanks to the chip's cache.

And you're certainly right about the AGP being more fluid on certain things because I've seen some of those TNT benchmarks and the scores are amazing. But like you said, it should be fine for now...more than fine really. That's part of the problem with all this hardware stuff, especially graphics cards. This area is the epitome of computer technology outdating itself almost before it hits the shelves. I stopped trying to keep ahead of the wave years ago. I just couldn't afford it. Buy what you think will best suit your needs kvvliet and as long as you're happy with it, that's what really counts.
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot

Thanks pirate,

Those are my words exactly. My FPS and FPU calculations will be 3x or 4x higher. Now I will be able to run halflife, carma2, sin without stuttering frames. Maybe i'll put in some extra graphics settings. The 3dmark issue i'll check out know. I have uploaded my benchmarks, so i'll check out the AMD400.
    When my computer dubbles/triples in gameplay for only $100 (with decent games), I'm sure no one laughs. If this works, i'm happy with the situation.

Oh okay sorry, didnt read that you were coming from a cyrix processor, yea you would be right then, the only thing I wonder is that I didnt know that they made anything higher than a K6-2 300 that will work on a 66mhz bus? I mean Im sure its going to work anyway cause you can scale down, but I added a K6-2 333 to my old 100mhz packard bell, it improved a lot but not even close to getting a 95 or 100 bus mobo. I used what was called a powerleap, because I could not support the voltage on my motherboard, it would bypass that for me and use its own voltage so I could use the K6-2, but the speed jump I got from going from 66 to 95 and 100 bus is much more than you think.
    Vidfreek:

Thread Information