A weird problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: A weird problem

Question A weird problem

My computer froze up a bit , and i am a bit heavy handed when it comes to shutting it of hard... never had a problem ... 2 days ago I shut of a western digital WD1001FALS 1 tb drive.... When i went to turn it back on it wouldn't boot. After trying a million things it turns out the drive has been damaged, BUT it still spins and "feels healthy" in my hand.. I have never had a drive go and keep spinning normally. It is not recognized at all, not even as a slave. My last thought would be to buy THE EXACT drive and swap out the electrical controller where you plug in your sata connection. This has worked for me with drives that stopped spinning completely..... Funny thing is, i lost a lot but all i really want back is my bookmarks... I have searched my computer and none of the .json (firefox) files have my complete list of bookmarks....

Anyone have an alternate idea, cause i don't want to spend 100 bucks on a crappy drive...

maybe someone with a different config could get it to show up...

please help

Thanks Mike

the places.sqlite file would have your bookmarks.

Even if you buy a drive of the same model, the firmware may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by freetomove View Post

2 days ago I shut of a western digital WD1001FALS 1 tb drive.... When i went to turn it back on it wouldn't boot. After trying a million things it turns out the drive has been damaged, BUT it still spins and "feels healthy" in my hand.. ... It is not recognized at all, not even as a slave.
    Ontrack.com
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Thread Information