[RESOLVED] Hard Drive giving me I/O Device Error
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Hard Drive giving me I/O Device Error

Hybrid View

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Hard Drive giving me I/O Device Error

I have an external hard drive that backs up my 2 computer drives at 2 different times during the day. I have been getting some errors recently when trying to back up. The errors stopped for about 2 days but then started up again last night. The error I got I/O Device Error.

It then says M: (drive of my hard drive) failed, etc etc. This drive is a western digital drive & is probably 3+ years old. Could be even older, as I cannot remember, but it is an original MyBook. I even ran some diagnostics the other day from western digital but everything came up with passing the drive.

So my main question, is is this my external hard drive failing? Or is it my computer failing? If its the drive, no problem I can get a new one. If it is the computer than that would worry me alot more. Any responses are appreciate, thank you!

I would suspect the drive or its enclosure first.

Do you have the external connected at all times? Do you ever get the message when it is not connected?

Assuming it is USB, do you have any other USB problems with that port?

I have the drive connected & turned on at all times. The first time I got the message was this past Sunday. I always have it connected into the same USB drive. But I can switch it to a different port & see what happens. I had no issues for 2 days after I ran the diagnostics & during the 6:30 backup yesterday no issues. The issue came at the 11pm backup.

More or less this sounds like the external drive though & not the actual computer or those drives?
    Mike

It would be easy enough to run a hard drive diagnostic on the computer drive, and you probably ought to do that.

But remember that those external drives have two parts-the drive itself and the enclosure, which has its own set of connectors and circuitry. So the drive itself could be fine, but the enclosure component not.

ok thank you, I will definitely run a diagnostic on my 2 drives in the computer.

Would you suggest taking the external drive out of its compartment & putting it into another compartment and testing it that way? I do have another enclosure. Or at this point since the drives are so cheap now is it best to just get a new one?
    Mike

If you already have a decent enclosure,
    Good idea to purchase another HDD as a precaution.

You can then take your time troubleshooting the current external WD.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

sounds very good, thank you for the info. that is probably the best way for me to go. I will test the drive out on another computer as well to see if it has the same issues.
    Mike

I unplugged my hard drive yesterday & switched USB ports. I manually backed up at 3pm & everything went fine. My 6:30 automatic backup went fine as well. But my 11pm backup then had the issue come up. I finally got a chance to write down the exact error before it left the screen.

Windows - Delayed Write Failed
    Windows was unable to save all the date for the file M:\System Volume\bunch of letters & symbols
    The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by VerdMan17
    ... Windows - Delayed Write Failed ...
    Following article/link may be of interest,
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

thanks, I will try this out.
    Mike

Thread Information