Will AMD replace a fan?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Will AMD replace a fan?

Will AMD replace a fan?

I bought an Athlon X2 Triple core CPU and now, about a month or two later, the fan sounds like a damn buzzsaw! I have NEVER heard a fan that wasn't at least 10 years old that sounded so loud or bad. I am not even one who is normally bothered by noise but this is truly excessive! It sounds like there is a blender making margaritas in my case! If I contact AMD will they replace it or am I on my own? Worse yet, if they will replace it, would it just be another one of these super low quality POS things I have now? Also, if I replace it' don't I have to keep this one just in case something happens to the retail CPU?

I'm kind of bummed right now because I don't think I have anything suitable; all I have seen are those ****ty intel fans that can't be used on anything else, but this noise is so bad I am seriously considering putting this computer out of commission until it's fixed. You can't even think in here is is ridiculous!

Well I took it apart and blew it out from the backside and it is once again what I'd call "tolerable". The whole computer still sounds like a 747 at takeoff, but at least it's not buzzing anymore. I also happened to notice though, that this fan spins furiously away at top speed at all times. It never slows down at all?!?

I literally have fans that are over 10 years old that are quieter than this turbojet!

It's almost an universal law that stock heatsink/fans sucks for anything but the bare minimum regarding noise and performance, especially on lower-end models where it's easy to cut corners. I upgraded a coworker's system from an Athlon X2 4800 to an Athlon II X3 445 and ended up using the older beefier X2 heatsink as the one that came with the X3 was horrible.

You could try contacting AMD, but from my experience the HSF models are not always consistent between the same series of CPUs so whether you end up with a decent one might vary. You could also get a cheap aftermarket unit such as this one from Coolermaster for 15$ which uses a standard 80mm fan that is easy to replace in case it acts up.

Regarding fan speed, many modern motherboards have an option to automatically control the CPU fan speed according to CPU temperature. On your motherboard it's in the hardware monitor section in the BIOS, and named Q-Fan. It will probably help to keep your sanity by not having the CPU fan spinning at 3500rpm all the time

Core i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell U2415

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

For a "low end" CPU that think is really a great little CPU. Plenty of power & performance at a low cost. The heatsink and fan may suck but it is a nice quick machine. I like this board too. I can't wait until I get a video card to use in a Hybrid-Crossfire setup. I think I'll finally play Oblivion (been threatening to do that for a couple of years now).

I should probably pick up some after market cooling though I suppose. Is that one you linked to with the fan perpendicular to the mobo? I may have issues with that because my case is open sided and the cat might get it's tail in that thing. I suppose if he did though it would be the last time he did.

So what is the deal with the triple core? I just saw it as a nice cheap upgrade from an LGA775 Wolfdale Celeron, and it has been that. Are they just failed Phenom Quads? I saw that my board has a "core unlocker" feature and I tried it but it just crashed. I had wondered if perhaps it might work if I underclocked it and tried that, but it took a whole CMOS clear to get it running again so I didn't experiment too much.

I have to say though I am very pleased to have gone back to an AMD platform. I really only went with intel because at the time the "Conroe" was the fastest thing going and I just happened to have the cash. These days though I suppose most people have far more computer than they actually need. I really don't have that kind of money to keep atop the technology curve with an intel setup. Thank god for Amd!!

Quote Originally Posted by markjs View Post
    I should probably pick up some after market cooling though I suppose. Is that one you linked to with the fan perpendicular to the mobo? I may have issues with that because my case is open sided and the cat might get it's tail in that thing. I suppose if he did though it would be the last time he did.
    Yes, it is perpendicular. There are some top-down models available (Scythe Shuriken, for example), but they are slightly more expensive. As for the cat's tail, they are pretty resilient so I'd be more afraid of damaging the fan

Quote Originally Posted by markjs View Post
    So what is the deal with the triple core? I just saw it as a nice cheap upgrade from an LGA775 Wolfdale Celeron, and it has been that. Are they just failed Phenom Quads? I saw that my board has a "core unlocker" feature and I tried it but it just crashed. I had wondered if perhaps it might work if I underclocked it and tried that, but it took a whole CMOS clear to get it running again so I didn't experiment too much.
    Yes, all X3 are cut-down Athlon II X4 or Phenom II X4 (with L3 cache disabled). For the Athlon II X3 build I mentioned above I managed to successfully unlock the fourth core and even undervolt the CPU a little, but it's totally luck of the draw as the fourth core might be completely defective or need some voltage bump to make it work.

If you are interested to try unlocking again here's an excellent guide I used to do mine :
    http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/53...ore-cache.html

If it works, getting a quad core for $80 is rather sweet
    Last edited by equinoxe3d; December 26th, 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Core i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell U2415

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Quote Originally Posted by markjs
    ... this fan spins furiously away at top speed at all times...
    Check "Cool and Quiet" and related settings in CMOS/BIOS menu.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

possibly not seated properly causing a high temperature so fan is having to work flat out?
    Visit HardwareHackers for my latest projects!

Thread Information