[RESOLVED] Multiple Routers
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Multiple Routers

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Multiple Routers

Quick question,

I changed my ISP, and it replaced my old modem with a Multifunctional Home Gateway

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=651

I had originally wired my old modem into a Asus Router

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320032

The ISP tech had set the new home gateway to broadcast a wireless LAN, and my old Asus router is now plugged into this gateway and also broadcasting a wireless LAN. So now with each of my devices, I have the option of choosing either LAN to connect two.

My question is:
    1) If I prefer the interface of the Asus router, do I lose anything by leaving all my devices to wirelessly connect to the Asus router?
    2) Or should I remove the Asus router completely, and just have everything connect wirelessly to the D-Link gateway?

If it's relevant, the 5 devices connecting are:

a) A new PC, on this NIC
    ASUS PCI-G31 Wireless Network Adapter 802.11G 54MBPS PCI
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...Specifications

b) A one-year old laptop, on this NIC
    Intel 5100AGN 802.11a/b/g/n
    http://www.intel.com/network/connect...5000/index.htm

c) A four-year old laptop, on this NIC
    NC293 Card, Network, Minicard, 3945ULD Dell Americas Organization
    (I can't even find a specs link)

d & e) 2 iphone 4's

So the tech set up both routers? If so, then he probably disabled routing on the Asus and made it just an access point.

If you want to keep the Asus, you'll have to disable the router/DHCP on the DLink.

The routers should have different SSIDs, so you'd have to add the devices to your DLink.

No, I set up the Asus previously when I had a simple modem, and when the tech showed up he replaced the modem with the gateway with its own SSID, and left the old Asus network untouched.

So as of now, my asus shows up as a wired connection on the d-link gateway's list of clients

The asus is still set up as a router, broadcasting its own SSID
    Attached Images Attached Images

So what do you want to do? Do you need 2 access points or not? If not, I would just run one. KISS.

You plugged the Asus into the DLink without configuring it and it still allows internet access? You normally have to disable DHCP on one or the other.

http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

I don't need 2 access points. My place is small enough that both networks have good signal from all rooms.

However I'd prefer to keep the Asus network as the one I connect all my devices to.

My question is, since I now have this "extra layer" of network
    computer -> asus network -> d-link network-> ISP
    whereas before I had
    computer -> asus network -> modem -> ISP
    do my connections somehow suffer from more latency or less bandwidth on the Asus? Would I gain any speed by going to
    computer -> d-link network -> ISP

Hope that makes sense, and thanks for all your help Midknyte.

If you don't need 2 access points, just run one. I would run the DLink alone, but that's your call. Like I said, KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

However I'd prefer to keep the Asus network as the one I connect all my devices to.
    If that's the case, disable the access point on the Dlink and just use it as a plain modem. You are creating interference.

My question is, since I now have this "extra layer" of network
    computer -> asus network -> d-link network-> ISP
    whereas before I had
    computer -> asus network -> modem -> ISP
    do my connections somehow suffer from more latency or less bandwidth on the Asus? Would I gain any speed by going to
    computer -> d-link network -> ISP
    Anytime you add another device in the chain, you lose performance. I'm surprised that it's still working, but I'm guessing the Asus autodetects for another DHCP server in the network.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Anytime you add another device in the chain, you lose performance. I'm surprised that it's still working, but I'm guessing the Asus autodetects for another DHCP server in the network.
    Most newer routers auto-detect other routers and change the IP scheme accordingly. What I would suggest doing is setting the IP of your asus router as DMZ in the gateway router. That would be the best besides only running 1. Performance loss should be minimal.
    CPU: Athlon X2 7850 Blackbox edition o/c'd to 3400mhz
    Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM SE2
    Memory: 4gb Kingston KVR RAM
    Video: BFG Geforce gtx 260 oc v2
    Hard Drives: 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, 500GB WD, 320GB WD, 320GB WD 250GB WD, 250GB Seagate
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel case
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply
    Optical: 22x LG DVD R/W

Thread Information