HP Deskjet 3320 Print Queue quickly goes from 1 to 0
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HP Deskjet 3320 Print Queue quickly goes from 1 to 0

HP Deskjet 3320 Print Queue quickly goes from 1 to 0

After spending weeks trying to get my HP Deskjet F4280 All-in-One up and running, after much frustration, I unplugged it and am now trying to get my old printer working.

It is an HP Deskjet 3320. (I know..........it's a dinosaur.)

Anyhow, I have Windows Vista........ I downloaded the driver (3600 series), and when I go to Control Panel/Printers, the little icon of a printer is there, and it has a checkmark, and it says "ready". However, when I try to print something, it briefly says "1" (meaning one thing has been sent to the print queue) but after about 2 seconds, it goes back to a "0".

Anyone have any idea whatsoever why this is happening? I am getting so frustrated.......All I want is to have one printer up and running!

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by MMMarie View Post
    ... It is an HP Deskjet 3320... Windows Vista........ I downloaded the driver (3600 series), ...
    ?!
    Read the instructions posted at HP:

... An alternate compatible print driver solution for your HP product is included with the Windows Vista Operating system and is already on your computer. There is no need to download anything...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I'm not sure what you're saying. I have the CD that came with the HP 3320 and when I put it in, a prompt appears saying "This printer software driver is not supported on this operating system. Check hp.com for a software driver for this product and operating system." Therefore, I went to the hp site and it said for this printer, when using vista, to download the driver for the 3600 series, which I did.

Any idea why, when I send something to the printer, that in a matter of seconds, the queue shows "1" and then goes back to "0", without anything printing?

Are the cartridges good? If you shake them can you hear the ink moving?

Quote Originally Posted by MMMarie View Post
    ... Therefore, I went to the hp site and it said for this printer, when using vista, to download the driver for the 3600 series, ...
    Post a link to the HP website stating such instructions.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Hi Steve. Thanks for the reply. Yes, there's ink in the cartridges. I can photocopy and print pages if I put them under the scanner.

Shinma - I see what you're saying, and yes, I saw the line that says "An alternate compatible print driver solution for your HP product is included with the Windows Vista Operating system and is already on your computer. There is no need to download anything...". However, my printer isn't working. Therefore, I continued down that page to where it suggests compatible drivers. So I tried the following:

From here http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/support.html I enter the product name and click on Go. It takes me here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...c=ca&submit=GO and I enter my operating system (Vista). I click 'next', and it goes here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...&product=75035 . I click on Driver (1) and it then says
    HP Printers - Installing an Alternate Driver in Windows Vista . When I click on that, it takes me here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...75035&sw_lang= which says:

Introduction
    An alternate compatible print driver solution for your HP product is included with the Windows Vista Operating system and is already on your computer. There is no need to download anything.
    Use this document to identify the print driver that is compatible with your HP product and to install and configure it on the computer. This print driver makes it possible to use the basic functions for the product.
    There is not a full-feature Windows Vista print driver solution available.
    Installing and configuring a compatible driver
    Follow the steps below to install and configure the print driver that is compatible with your HP product.
    Step one: Determine the appropriate compatible driver
    Use the following list to find the print driver that is compatible with your HP product.
    Product Alternate driver
    Deskjet 3320, 3325, 3420, and 3520 Deskjet 3600
    Photosmart 7600 series Deskjet 5600
    Deskjet 5850 Deskjet 5600
    Photosmart 130 and 230 Photosmart 330
    Photosmart 145 and 245 Photosmart 330
    Photosmart 7350 and 7550 Deskjet 5550
    Deskjet 6122 and 6127 Deskjet 990c
    Deskjet 3816 and 3820 Deskjet 970cse

Then I follow those instructions, and it takes me to the Control Panel which shows hp deskjet 3600 series is there, and Ready.

However, when I go here http://h20270.www2.hp.com/ediags/gmn...N+&lc=en&cc=ca and downloaded HP's Automatic Product Detection Tool, and it said product not detected. Not sure why this is happening, considering the printer appears in Control Panel/Printers. Also have no idea why, when I try to print, it shows up (as "1") and then quickly goes back to "0".

Very frustrating.....

try updating the driver.
    but before that you may also try to delete queued items.

Thread Information