XBox - Worth it for my 8 year old?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: XBox - Worth it for my 8 year old?

XBox - Worth it for my 8 year old?

Last year, when my son turned 7 he asked for a PS3 which he happily got along with a bunch of games he chose that he played for about a week. Now, he ignores the console approximately 99% of the time (which I'm happy about because he'd rather go out and physically play with friends).

Last week was his birthday again and he asked for an XBox. He got cash instead! He has enough to get his XBox and a couple of games but he said he'd rather put the money in the bank and save it for a rainy day (there's a super typhoon approaching the city now). So tomorrow, he wants to run down to the toy store after school and I know they have XBox's there.

Should I let him get the XBox or convince him otherwise? Besides, his amplifier doesn't have any more HDMI ports so I'll have to take away the PS3 or the DVD player.

What do you guys think and what would you do? I now have a useless PS3 and if I go through with tomorrow, will have a useless XBox too.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Welcome to parenthood!

Be glad that he likes playing outside. Games can be so very addictive and time consuming at that age (and beyond).

What would happen if you suggested that he get rid of-sell-his PS3 before moving on to something else? It might help make the point about watching the value of the gift/device go down so much, if nothing else. He may be too young for that to make much impact on him, but maybe?

Who knows? I can surely try.

I'll let you know what he says later. Thanks... now that I think about it, we can get rid of-sell-his older stuff too. He's a little bit OC and keeps everything in the basement neatly wrapped.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

It's strange he's requesting an Xbox360, most of the games for it are also available on the PS3, with the exception of a few key Microsoft titles, like the Halo games, Fable 2/3, Gears of War 1/2/3, Alan Wake... that's all I can think of for now. At 8 years old, he's probably a bit young for most of those, particularly the latter two.

I know exactly what the reason is... one of his cousins has one and I think he got on it for a little bit. For kids, anything new will do. And I also think he mentioned Halo Reach.

I should get into these games so that I don't feel as if I am wasting the hardware.

I think Halo Reach is a game suited to a teenager. He may be a bit young for it.
    I agree with Jimbo in selling his PS3 before moving onto some new hardware may be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    I should get into these games so that I don't feel as if I am wasting the hardware.
    You could play two player with your son.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 8 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Good morning... Now I have a little bit of a dilemma selling him the idea of getting rid of the PS3. Last night, without saying a word to me, he went with his nanny and the driver to the toy store and bought two PS3 games. Rockband and Assassins Creed! Now I'm screwed! He's going to be making so much noise!

I guess I'm keeping the PS3 and will just worry about the XBox come Christmas.

Cheers all.

Assassins Creed is restricted to 15+ here

Does anyone really follow that? The only game I know of to keep him away from is Resident Evil and Grand Theft Auto.

im 28 and ive never got enough 'cash' for my birthday that would allow me to buy a ps3 or xbox! the kid is 8, i think a $15 model rocket will consume more time, teach him much more valuable life lessons, and once its done he gets to push a button that makes fire come out of it- trust me he will like it.

I gotta say, model rockets were freaking awesome when I was a kid. What a buzz

I think there is a little bit of a difference when it comes to culture and way of life here in the Philippines. What I am trying to do is the complete opposite of what my parents did with me... not that my parents did anything wrong but I didn't know a thing about money management when I was little. Which is why, as I grew older and started making my own money, I got careless and spent recklessly.

Last year, I moved into an apartment which is a nicely spaced one bedroom. Now, there is no way I am going to share a room with my son so what I did is got the apartment literally next door to mine, which is exactly the same and gave it to him where he now lives.

What I've done is I've given him a monthly allowance big enough to pay for his rent, association dues, utilities, cellphone, groceries, satellite TV, et al. Although rent, dues and TV are fixed, everything else is variable. This has taught him to save on electricity, conserve water, eat only real and healthy food opposed to expensive chips and chocolate (junk food) and not to make endless calls on his mobile and SMS the entire world just because he feels like it.

At the end of the month, whatever he saves, he gets to keep which he deposits 50% into his own checking account and the other 50% goes to treating me to lunch or dinner, console games and occasionally, things he wants to make his apartment a little nicer for himself. This is cute but at the end of November, he bought himself a second hand iPod Touch 16GB with his own money because he wanted to listen to music through his external speakers which I think is adorable.

Now, I don't know if I'm raising him wrong or right but he sure seems like he is heading in the right direction. He acts like a very responsible 20-something year old which makes me the proudest father in the world.

And as a bonus, after hearing about models rockets, I will try and find one. I don't know if we have any here but that does sound like a hell of a lot of fun.

Thread Information