Windows 10-Film at 11??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Windows 10-Film at 11??

Windows 10-Film at 11??

In the big announcements regarding Windows 10 today, Microsoft announced that it would be free to certain users, primarily those currently running Windows 7 or 8. However, that "free" is apparently a precursor to a new concept of providing the operating system on a subscription basis, as the "free" part means free for the first year.

I didn't see any details as to what the subscription cost would be after the first year.

I also wonder what happens if, after the first year, you decide you don't want to renew. Can you go back to the version of Windows you were running before? Or, like some earlier upgrades, do you surrender your license as to the prior version?

The times certainly are a'changing. Microsoft is pushing hard to make up for lost time. I guess more details will be out later.

Ugh. I hope that doesn't happen.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

No, It was later explained that the free 1 year means that after windows 10 is released, you have 1 year to get the free upgrade.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

I hope that's right. The earlier accounts I was reading were very unclear about the one year part.

With that stated, would not be the first time that Microsoft flip-flopped.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post

With that stated, would not be the first time that Microsoft flip-flopped.
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

Microsoft did not flip flop, the problem was that the explaination was not clear.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

The explanation was not clear, and I think there had been some anticipation from the press (and the public) about MS going to a subscription model, based on where Office has gone. When MS started talking about Windows 10 being a "service", people started "assuming" what that meant.

Quote Originally Posted by glussier
    Microsoft did not flip flop, the problem was that the explaination was not clear.
    I was not referring to their "explaination".
    I was referring to "Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription"
    Would not be the first time Microsoft changed their minds. "Start Menu" ring a bell?
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I agree that there were, for a long time, speculations that windows would be sold as a subscription, but, it's never Microsoft who has said that. Those were speculations from journalists.

That said, Microsoft has changed his mind a few times, xbox one, windows 8 start menu and multiple other times. But, I don't see a problem with that. They are allowed to adjust to what the customer wants. I think this is a plus for Microsoft to be able to do that.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Quote Originally Posted by glussier
    ... a plus for Microsoft ...
    That says it all.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

won't someone think of the children???

I don't know if the realization has penetrated MS yet, but this could be the beginning of the end for Windows as the dominant OS. If some there know they wouldn't be broadcasting it to the public. Windows will continue to dominate business for a long time to come, but for the general public this could be the start of a long decline. Offering 10 as a free upgrade for a year is a sign. For many people a tablet suffices and IPads and Android have that sewn up. For many other users a Chromebook is a preferred option, faster and free of constant AV slowdowns and concerns. Many IT pros, while they still want a real computer for some uses, see a Chromebook as a useful adjunct for them and a preferred option for family and parents. Even gaming is shifting as Steam now has viable linux options.

As has been seen in other businesses and large corporations in recent years, the profits can still roll in for a few years after the disruptive change in tech is already underway, and by the time panic sets in at the head office, it's too late. MS gets what, something like 50% of income and profits from OS sales? I think it will be looking to the other half of its business in the future. Giving away 10 is a holding action at the beginning of this shift.

Thread Information