PassPoint and card reader not working.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PassPoint and card reader not working.

PassPoint and card reader not working.

Hello,

I have a system that will just not allow any access. I have installed PassPoint plus version 2 and the software is reading the MLB. I Can click on bypass and unlock the door but none of the key fobs will unlock the door. When I present the key fobs to the reader I see that the light will flash between green and red for 4 seconds then go back to study red. The system was working before someone tried to reinstall the software on a computer which overwrote the database. I have reactivated all of the key fobs (cards) and this did not seem to help. Quite frankly I am at a loss as to which way to turn and a very happy that I found this forum and I'm really hoping you can help.

Thank you in advance.

Ok, the light turning green for about 4 seconds means the system is granting access. If you check the log, it should say "access granted" or something similar. How many doors are on the system? In the can with the MLB there should be a separate controller for two doors (DCM) mounted on top of the MLB. Each DCM can connect to two readers. It has terminal connections for two relays, and four zone inputs. With the basic settings, a reader on the DCM can only trigger one of the relays on that same DCM. On that DCM, there are four sets of terminal screws, two on top (left and right), two on bottom (left and right). The terminal screws on the top right are for the relays that actually activate to unlock the doors. There are two relays (one for each reader), they are black cubes right under the terminals. And when the door grants access, there is a red light that will light on the board next to the relay. If it is, the problem could be in the power supply or the lock itself. If you have access to a volt meter, it can help to determine what is wrong.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Thank you very much Sir Flannel,
    I have checked the logs and I don't get any "Access granted" or anything like that for any cards that I'm using. I have one door on the system. I will check which lights are on and when they are flashing and report back to you on that I will also check the power supply voltage. Upon checking the logs I do note that as of the 16th at 10 o'clock at night the system is reporting back that there is a low battery on module to DCM at index 2 and on module 1 MLB at index 1 so that something I'm going have to check out perhaps that's the issue. I have replaced the large 12 V sealed battery. Are there more than one sets of batteries in these devices?

I really appreciate your help and thank you very much for your time and the effort you are putting into this.
    Pat

I have run tests on the power supply and it is showing 18.5 AC volts, the backup battery is showing 12.86 DC volts. We have replaced the button battery located under the DCM and we're still getting a "low bat" message on the PassPoint software. There are green and red LEDs on the top right-hand corner of the MLB that are running pretty steady. The reader seems to be connected properly as is the computer terminal. There is a red light that comes on when I go into bypass mode from terminal in the center of the DCM near the relays. I'm still not getting any messages when we try to use any of the key fobs (cards). I am kind of at a loss at which way to turn. There anything else I can try? Thank you once again for any help you can send my way I really do appreciate it.

Ok, the red light next to the relays activate when you bypass the door? Cool, it should also do that if you hit the grant button, but it will light for a few seconds. And, when that happens, the door unlocks, correct? If so, great. When you bypass the door (or grant), the light on the reader should also turn green. If it does, cool, it's supposed to. Get someone else to scan a card so you can see if the light comes on then, too. If not, there might be a problem with the access level settings.
    There is another battery. It's a button cell on the MLB itself, and you'd need to take the DCM loose to get to where it is.

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Thank you Sir Flannel, once again you are right on the money. The red light activates when I put the unit into bypass and you can also see it flashing when I hit the "Grant" button. You're also correct when you say that the light on the reader turns green when it is in bypass mode and flashes briefly when we hit "Grant". We have tried other cards and they all do the same thing in that the light on the reader flashes between red and green for about 4 seconds. I am tending to do with you that the access level settings must be off somehow and I can figure out what they should be. We found the button battery on MLB and replace that with the model 2025. You are right it is a bit of a chore to get the DCM loose to make the change.

To me it seems like the hardware is working properly I just have the software configured incorrectly. Is there any way to print out the access settings?

Thank you once again for your help
    Pat

Ok, to print out the information you want, click on Tools, the Reporting. From the window that comes up, under Report Title, choose Cardholder Privileges. Then click on the Run Report button (the second one from the left). It will ask you to choose which Door you want the report on (You said you only have one), and it will pull up a list of who has privileges to that door, and when. You can print it from the display window, or export it.

Thank you for that Sir Flannel,

Unfortunately something in the software since the broken because I go to try and print reports and I get an error message saying rep.exe not found. I'm trying to install that software and another computer to see if I can find the problem. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you for your help so far.
    Pat

I have used one the report to run after copying the rep.exe file from another computer. The only thing the report seems to give me is that everyone has access between 0800 and 1700 hrs. Monday to Friday. I have attached a PDF of the report if you wouldn't mind having a quick look please.Cardholder Access Point Privile.pdf
    Thank you once again.

If you install the software on a new computer, one of the options will be to connect to an existing panel and upload the database. Be on the lookout and it will copy what is in the system, without needing to redo any settings.

Actually, I just installed the software onto a different computer so that I can get at the "rep.exe" file which I then copied onto the current computer just so that I could run the reports. I did notice one thing the other day and that was the time seems to be off on the panel. It seems to be showing January 1997. Could that be part of the problem? If so is there a way to change it on the panel. Note I did try syncing the time from the software but that didn't seem to do anything. Thanks again.

No, the time on the panel has to be set from the software. IIRC there is a "set MLB time" under the Control menu. If that's not changing, I seem to recall that being related to the onboard MLB battery.

Thank you for your help but after a month of fighting with this system I am giving up and replacing it with a new system.

Pat

No worries. Sorry we couldn't get it straightened out. There are several great systems that can replace yours, including some that are web managed with no software to install on any computer.

I was having these same problems. I was told by a very knowledgeable tech that the reason it isn't working is because the program I am using isn't registered and it isn't the full version. He called it a "sample" and said that it will do just about everything but it won't show activity at the card readers and it won't let you successfully register or add a card. I need to get a registered version of the software. Any ideas on where to get that Sir Flannel?

Thread Information