Compatible HDD with Intel Board D865GLC
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Compatible HDD with Intel Board D865GLC

Question Compatible HDD with Intel Board D865GLC

Hi,
    I assembling a desktop. I have bought Intel motherboard-D865GLC, specs can be found in the following link.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-008974.htm

I looking for a hard disk which should be compatible with the motherboard. Does the following model will be right. If not, would anyone please suggest which one will be good.
    Western Digital Green 500GB SATA 3.5

Many thanks,
    DK

this mobo have both pata and sata (1.5gb) connector so you can use either type of hdd. the wd green (5900 rpm) and other manufacturer's green hdd are not a good choice for an o/s drive, since they are meant more for low power consumption/heat and not for performance. if you want to use wd, i would recommend either the sata blue or black series (7200 rpm) of wd hdd.

btw: most sata hdd now are the newer 3.0gb sata. the new 3.0gb sata hdd are compatible with the older sata controller but on some you might have to set a jumper to make it compatible with the 1.5gb sata controller

thank you for the reply . Will the following HDD will be fine without jumper, or I need to use the jumper.

SATA Hard Drives, 250 GB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 8 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=30

In addition to that, I am having NVIDIA XFX 8800 GTS 644MB card. Will it work with this motherbaord .

The link above that you provided, only takes to the Western Digital homepage.
    State model of the WD in question.

Quote Originally Posted by nanotimer View Post
    ... NVIDIA XFX 8800 GTS 644MB card. Will it work with this motherbaord .
    If that is a PCI-E video card, no.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Here is the details of HDD; Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAII 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM WD5000AAKS.
    Is that work without jumper.
    Media card is PCI-E so i think it is not going to work. Could anyone please suggest me the best available compatible card.
    Cheers,
    nano

... Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAII 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM WD5000AAKS...
    Should work with stated mobo.

... Is that work without jumper...
    Since your Intel mobo has the older SATA150,
    You will likely need to set the jumper for SATA150.
    You can download the manual,
    Click HERE
    Look at the manual to enable OPT1, place jumper on pins 5 & 6.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I have the exact same drive on a similar motherboard (P4P800) with the same chipset, and I did not need to set the SATA150 jumper. However, if you have detection problems on boot, or if you just want peace of mind it doesn't hurt to set it.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Question

Thanks a lot . Could anyone please give a knowledge about media card (for gaming) which should be compatible to Intel motherboard-D865GLC .

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    Should work with stated mobo.

Since your Intel mobo has the older SATA150,
    You will likely need to set the jumper for SATA150.
    You can download the manual,
    Click HERE
    Look at the manual to enable OPT1, place jumper on pins 5 & 6.
    Thank you. I ll try it.

Thanks a lot . Could anyone please give a knowledge about media card (for gaming) which should be compatible to Intel motherboard-D865GLC .
    Since selections will vary depending on your location,
    May want to provide a link to your preferred local/online store.
    Members here can then provide suggestions.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Wink

here is the link of my nearest store.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Family.aspx?...FRQ8lAodACvETA

If you cannot access the link , can type in google; "Maplin: Graphics Cards", the very first link give you the access of all the available media cards .
    thanks,
    nano

Ouch. Not much selection there... of the two cards available, the HD3650 is a decent card but it seems to only be available as a refurb (B-Grade). Keep in mind that AGP versions of HD2xxx/3xxx/4xxx cards are not officially supported by ATI so you'll have to use non-official drivers (hotfixes). It should be a fast card though, I tried a HD3850 in my P4 and it was too fast for my CPU, so I ended up selling it and keeping ye olde X800XT PE.

The FX5200 was a bad joke when it launched in 2003, and it did not get better with time

If you don't mind buying online, you could also check http://www.ebuyer.com/, they have a greater selection of AGP cards. Of those I'd recommend the Inno3D 7600GT, as nVidia still has great support for AGP cards and it would be a good price/performance ratio for an old system. If you want the best AGP card available, the HD4670. It's up to you to decide if you want to spend that much on an AGP card
    Last edited by equinoxe3d; July 28th, 2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: modified link to ebuyer search results

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Quote Originally Posted by equinoxe3d View Post
    Ouch. Not much selection there...
    Ditto.
    You'll need a store with a bigger selection.

You can also try looking around for local online classifieds to see if someone is selling a decent used AGP video card.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Smile

Thanks a lot for suggestions. I read the review of Inno3D 7600GT, they are really good and the main thing is that the price fits in my budget .

Thank you all,
    nano

Thread Information