[RESOLVED] Tracking Internet Logs/Computer with two Internet Cards
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Tracking Internet Logs/Computer with two Internet Cards

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Tracking Internet Logs/Computer with two Internet Cards

I am trying to figure out how to set this up. This is how I want it set up.

ISP ---> Computer with two cards (One card connected to the ISP/Modem) (The Second Card goes to the Router) -----> Router------ > network (The network as lots of computers on it.)

With the computer with the two cards, I want to be able to track what people are going to for websites. I want to have it set up this way, so I donít have to deal with software on their computers. Also this will make the chance of them getting around it a lot harder.

So my question is how I go around setting up the computer with the two network cards, to be able to do what I want.

Since no one else answered...

The network as lots of computers on it.
    What amount is "lots"? 10, 100, 1000?

With the computer with the two cards, I want to be able to track what people are going to for websites. I want to have it set up this way, so I don’t have to deal with software on their computers. Also this will make the chance of them getting around it a lot harder.
    Why are you doing this? To prevent them from going to unauthorized sites? If so, then you want a proxy server with content filtering. Your method sounds like you want to manually create your blacklists. That will take a lot of time and constant monitoring. It's much more efficient to use a content filtering service, rather than reinventing the wheel.

Instead of setting up your own proxy, you could try using OpenDNS on your router.
    http://www.opendns.com/

Around 50 to 100 computers, we could be getting more soon.

I want to be able to track what people are going to for sites. I just need a piece of software, that will take two network cards, ( Having internet come from one, and out the other ) So that this computer will be able to track it. I do not want to install software on all there computers, that is why I want it set up like this.

I want to be able to track what people are going to for sites. I just need a piece of software, that will take two network cards
    That's a proxy, but why do you need to track the sites? Like I said, if you want to block certain sites, that is content filtering. Did you even look at OpenDNS?

There are other proxy servers like Smoothwall, but the free version only has limited logging features. If you wanted to block sites, you would have to manually input each one.
    http://www.smoothwall.org/about/feat...parison-chart/

http://www.untangle.com/

That is what I want to be able to do, someone on another forum found this software for me.

I want to be able to see if my employees are on task, and if they are not, what sites they are going to etc...

Thread Information