[RESOLVED] Acer Aspire One
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Acer Aspire One

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Acer Aspire One

Man I have not been over here in years... I'm not as big into the PC hardware as I used to be, but I still do some upgrades, repair, and system builds, but not often.

Well the issue... The hard drive died so I replaced it. I ordered the recovery CD and even downloaded a Format Toll from Acer. It runs through the installation fine, taking maybe an hour. When it says it is done and I take the disk out to reboot. When it reboots it says "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key" I checked the boot order in the BIOS. Everything looks fine. I took the drive out and hooked it up to my desktop system and the installation looks fine, but it does not list the disk as bootable under Disk Manager. How do I fix this. I have run through the format program and the recovery disks about 10 times... this is driving me batty.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Welcome back, Todd a. It has been a while.

I assume that the format tool formats and partitions, and then the restore disks get run?

Have you tried using Recovery Console off a Windows disk to run fixboot?

I'm more of a hardware guy then software. I have Windows XP Pro on most of my systems, would it be on that or is this something you need to download and burn to a disk, or something you can make off a bootable CD with some files copied over from Windows, or is this something I can do from Windows 7 Pro on my main system? I am pretty limited on my knowledge so use small words...

This is my mothers Netbook... surprisingly my old P4 laptop with a GeForce 4200 is still running good.

I think it has been about 4 years since I was on here. That is pretty much the last time I was heavy into following computer hardware, but based on my signature you can see I did not stop completely. I upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce 8800 GTS about 3 years back, added a Blu-ray drive 2 years ago, a 1TB drive last year, switched from XP to Windows 7 when it came out, and finally a few months back upgraded the motherboard, CPU, memory, power supply, and added a 1TB drive for back-ups. My biggest diversion from computers though (other than my kids) is Warhammer. I stop playing about 11 years ago because of my Ex and finally started back in a year ago and it sucks up all my spare cash instead of computers, but my tax return was pretty good, so I finally replaced my aging socket 939 Athlon64 x2 4200.

I noticed I'm still around #5 for most posts and likely one of the oldest members active.
    Last edited by Todd a; June 27th, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

You will want one of your XP disks. This article tells you how to access it from there.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Well I found a disk utility on WD's site called Acronis True Image WD, so I am trying that. If that fails I'll look into your idea. It will take about an hour for me to see if the installation takes and I can boot of the drive. The thing that pisses me off is they say the hard drive is user replaceable and pretty much any 2.5" SATA drive works, but I actually got the same brand and model type as the old one, but got a 320GB instead of a 160GB drive. The installation program detects everything fine too, but when it formats the disk it does not make the drive bootable.

I had an issue with a drive I pulled out of an external enclosure to use in a system. It was a pain turning it into a bootable drive... and I do not remember how I did it... likely a WD utility of some sort.

OK this is just not fun. Well I can not get Windows XP Pro (original... no SP) to load as it BSoD and goes no farther (about when it gets to the point you press R). I do have a Windows 7 Upgrade and it came with 64 and 32 bit disks. I loaded up the 32 bit, but says it is lacking drivers and can not continue, but I could get into the Tools and run Startup Repair. It comes up with an error saying "MissingBootManager"

This seems to be the only issue... A missing Boot Manager. Everything looks good, but the drive is not bootable for some reason. My next option is to try loading the drivers off Acer's site for Windows7 (if they have them) and try again.

Trying Windows 7 again and it seems to be working so far... Let's see if this works.
    Last edited by Todd a; June 27th, 2010 at 03:41 PM.

You may be able to download Recovery Console separately.

Windows 7 installed and boots fine... This is odd. I'm going to try installing Windows XP since the hard drive is booting and see if it still works. If not it looks like my mother will get an upgrade to Windows 7... which ran quite well on this thing.

I took it back to Windows XP for now and it boots fine. Why couldn't there installation programs set the boot manager correctly? What a pain. At least it is fixed now.

Thread Information