Is Hardware Central Dying? - Page 5
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

View Poll Results: Is Hardware Central Dying?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 21.43%
  • No

    11 78.57%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 94

Thread: Is Hardware Central Dying?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,032
    SHOCKED! I am shocked to hear this!!!

    I remember chocolate-covered rainbows and x-mas presents year round!
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

    MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    3,198
    The only reason anyone could have voted no is because this isn't dying, it's already dead. Too bad because this was my favorite forum back in the day. Child-like behavoir is the norm in healthy forums - it attracts new children to argue AMD vs. Intel, AMd/ATI vs. nVidia. When the mods cracked down here, the effect was inevitable. No young'uns comin', the older ones movin' on or losing interest.

    My original three forums were here, Ars Technica and Overclockers. Ars is still going strong because Caesar (the childish idiot who heads it up) is extremely immature and lets chaos rain. Overclockers goes on because it attracts the those true to it's name. My fourth old forum, 2CPU is dying because the need for multiple CPUs has become moot except for high-end servers. Mostly now it serves AMD server fan boys.

    Yes, the HWC Forums is dead. As I make the first post since Dec 21 it is sad to admit that you have to let the children play or simply fade away.
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

    2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

    3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Location
    Clinton, MA, USA
    Posts
    1,110
    Good one Dave B.
    Got to agree with most of your observations, as one of the oldest members on this site, the "overcontrol" from the site aided to it's lack of active members. Also, they have let a couple of good moderators go and allowed some of the others to act like KGB/CIA type of moderation. I can remember the good fights that we had, CPUs, Memory and especially Operating Systems. (boy, the Vista "pukes" were wrong, lol)

    Interesting enough, us "die hards" still resolve almost all issues from members that ask for help.

    I also got to agree with your thoughts on some of the other sites, I have been a member of, some act like "Website Nazis" moderators! Little do they know that it will end with people not going there A couple of these, I actually got email from moderators, asking that I not help people, even tho I was correct and got the member working again, cause the member posted his/her question in the wrong sub-forum!

    I do believe that HardwareCentral is still a viable source for help. I hope this site continues it's long record of helping people.
    486 CPU/32MB Memory/Windows 3.11(it rocks!) Sigh.........the good ol Days........

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    8,796
    It's pretty cool that some of the old folk are still popping in.

    I'm not sure when I was asked to be a moderator, but I was a regular member for years prior. From what I understand, moderators aren't "let go", unless they're literally inactive for years and even they get checked on before it happens. It seems to me more of a house cleaning thing.

    As far as moderation is concerned around here, my duties were always pretty relaxed. Most of the time I'd just merge the odd double thread, handle the occasional bit of spam or moving a thread to a more ideal forum. Debates are encouraged provided they remain somewhat constructive and don't completely degenerate into irrelevant name calling.

    About the only area that caused a sticking point (and this was when I was still only a member) was the desire among members for off-topic discussion. That's how Off Topic Central was born, initially populated by Hardware Central members as a solution to the problem, but later catching interest beyond that.

    But even OT Central isn't the active hot spot it used to be and I doubt very much it has anything to do with the moderation there. The nature of the internet has changed, social media is now the place to hang out.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    2,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    The only reason anyone could have voted no is because this isn't dying, it's already dead. Too bad because this was my favorite forum back in the day. Child-like behavoir is the norm in healthy forums - it attracts new children to argue AMD vs. Intel, AMd/ATI vs. nVidia. When the mods cracked down here, the effect was inevitable. No young'uns comin', the older ones movin' on or losing interest.

    My original three forums were here, Ars Technica and Overclockers. Ars is still going strong because Caesar (the childish idiot who heads it up) is extremely immature and lets chaos rain. Overclockers goes on because it attracts the those true to it's name. My fourth old forum, 2CPU is dying because the need for multiple CPUs has become moot except for high-end servers. Mostly now it serves AMD server fan boys.

    Yes, the HWC Forums is dead. As I make the first post since Dec 21 it is sad to admit that you have to let the children play or simply fade away.
    Approx how old are you?

    Kids have their sites - adults have theirs... No one I know likes to see a bunch of stupid kids arguing over who has the "coolest" case mod

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    3,198
    I'm 62. As a long time member at Ars Technica, I can tell you that it isn't just kids acting up. Some of the biggest fools there are moderators and long-time members. Some of them even chased One Eng back to this forum when he was posting all that nonsense about how good the AMD Barcelona (K10) was going to be a few years back. I mean he deserved what he got in the Ars forum with his childish fan boy assertions, but why pursue him all over the 'net?

    Anyway, the point is that when you clamp down too hard, it's not only kids you turn away, there's plenty of immature adults out there to. Ars is still a very popular forum with mostly mature discussions with some flame bait threads here and there. The most recent was another One Eng disaster where he asserted that Bulldozer was going to dominate Sandy Bridge. That one worked out about as well for him as the K10 thread. But if you do a detailed read of those threads, along with the name calling foolishness, there's a lot of highly technical information, so although immature, many of the posters are very knowledgeable in programming, CPU design and fabrication so much of the discussion is actually worthwhile reading.
    Last edited by Dave_B; January 1st, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

    2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

    3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Approx how old are you?

    Kids have their sites - adults have theirs... No one I know likes to see a bunch of stupid kids arguing over who has the "coolest" case mod
    Seconding Dave_B here, many times it's actually adults that act like kids on the internet... guess some of them don't quite "get" that technology yet and should just stay with their TVs

    Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

    Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by Bink View Post
    About the only area that caused a sticking point (and this was when I was still only a member) was the desire among members for off-topic discussion. That's how Off Topic Central was born, initially populated by Hardware Central members as a solution to the problem, but later catching interest beyond that.

    But even OT Central isn't the active hot spot it used to be and I doubt very much it has anything to do with the moderation there. The nature of the internet has changed, social media is now the place to hang out.
    OT Central is dominated by right wing lunatics that resort to Ad Hominem attacks to support their arguments in the TRW sub forums. Over time, even the original HWC members there lose interest due to poor moderation. Let them have their say over there. As the saying goes: Let sleeping dogs lie.

    If the nature of the internet has changed, then why are some computer forums still very active? i.e overclock.net


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Approx how old are you?

    Kids have their sites - adults have theirs... No one I know likes to see a bunch of stupid kids arguing over who has the "coolest" case mod
    Where exactly can I find stupid kids arguing over coolest case mods? Can you please show me?
    On the contrary, I find that case mods threads are free from arguments. They show their creativity with WIP photos and other members giving support, ideas and positive criticism and suggestions. Frankly, some of the mods look very nice.

    Might as well delete the Cases, Cooling and Overclocking sub-forum. It was originally suggested by forum members and later created by admins here to cater for those with such hobbies.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    8,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    If the nature of the internet has changed, then why are some computer forums still very active? i.e overclock.net
    Some are, certainly, after a consolidation of sorts.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    697
    I'm not aware of any consolidation or mergers of forums on the web. Either the forums are still around, fade away or completely disappear.

    To some degree it is also due to "overcontrol". Before internet.com took over this site, moderators were chosen by the members. That changed and I still remember the drama when an outsider with zero posts was brought in as a mod without even informing the mod in charge at HWC.

    Later they brought in many "changes" that slowly made this site to what it is now.

    I noticed a new black banner at the top of the forum. "An IT Business Edge Site" Well, as long as it is not over the edge, I'm ok with that.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    2,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post

    To some degree it is also due to "overcontrol". Before internet.com took over this site, moderators were chosen by the members. That changed and I still remember the drama when an outsider with zero posts was brought in as a mod without even informing the mod in charge at HWC.

    Later they brought in many "changes" that slowly made this site to what it is now.
    But you're talking about 9+ YEARS ago aren't you
    I hope and pray you get over it someday

    Of ALL of the moderation stuff I've seen here and on many sites, the need to moderate is directly proportional to the stuff that needs to be moderated. It's a pretty simple math deal.

    And of course from time to time members will disagree and think that a post or thread "wasn't that bad." But on the other hand, I've seen many members admit that they thought they'd see just how close to the line they can get.... When in doubt - the site comes first.

    I first cut my forum teeth on NoWonder.com and 32bit.com 12+ years ago. NoWonder went pay to post and 32bit just simply died... But back then, there were only a few hundred sites.. Now there are tens of thousands of tech sites.. Even the hardware and software companies have their own forums.. Factor in GOOGLE and the power of search engines and forums in general are dieing... There's pretty much no such thing as "being the first person in the world" to get a particular error message. And if you're not the first - odds are you can Google for a solution...

    The moderators at my favorite site got many complaints because they help answer questions too much... Couple of the mods are retired and very helpful people... Just can't win for losing...

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    8,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    Either the forums are still around, fade away or completely disappear.
    I'd call that a "consolidation of sorts"

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    But you're talking about 9+ YEARS ago aren't you
    I hope and pray you get over it someday
    Get over what? I was giving an example of "overcontrol". Past actions affects current and future outcomes. Agree? I don't go around making tall tales of the modding community nor do I make exaggerations to make a point or to support an argument.

    I appreciate your thoughts and prayers though. In this trying and uncertain times one should get all spiritual support they can get.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Of ALL of the moderation stuff I've seen here and on many sites, the need to moderate is directly proportional to the stuff that needs to be moderated. It's a pretty simple math deal.

    And of course from time to time members will disagree and think that a post or thread "wasn't that bad." But on the other hand, I've seen many members admit that they thought they'd see just how close to the line they can get.... When in doubt - the site comes first.
    I don't have a problem with the moderation here. Maybe just a bit years ago, when threads get locked for no reason at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I first cut my forum teeth on NoWonder.com and 32bit.com 12+ years ago. NoWonder went pay to post and 32bit just simply died... But back then, there were only a few hundred sites.. Now there are tens of thousands of tech sites.. Even the hardware and software companies have their own forums.. Factor in GOOGLE and the power of search engines and forums in general are dieing... There's pretty much no such thing as "being the first person in the world" to get a particular error message. And if you're not the first - odds are you can Google for a solution...

    The moderators at my favorite site got many complaints because they help answer questions too much... Couple of the mods are retired and very helpful people... Just can't win for losing...
    I am fascinated on why you choose to focus on the dead and dying sites. Shouldn't you be looking up to the successful ones on why they are successful instead?

    ....tens of thousands of tech sites..... zOMG! teh internets forumz iz dieing. Ohhhh.... what to do...

    ROTFL!! Been playing that tune and singing that same old song for how many years now, Steve? 7 or 8 years? It's 2012. When I go to bed tonight, I will kneel beside my bed, close my eyes weally weally hard, put my hands together tightly, praying and hoping wewy wewy hard that you have a new tune and song for the next couple of years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bink View Post
    I'd call that a "consolidation of sorts"
    There are several definitions of "consolidation". Glad to see that cleared up.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    OUT of my MIND
    Posts
    1,283
    It's dead......... I haven't been here in months... and judging my the lack of post... something's amiss !!!
    The Truth Is Out There....Trust No One

    WinXP home SP3
    Abit KV7V w/AMD2900+
    512RAM
    400watt PS
    ATI x1650pro 512meg AGP
    Zonealarm
    Avast antivirus

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    53° 08' 24" N 2° 23' 39" W
    Posts
    760
    I just came back after 2 years.

    Can't believe how quiet it's gone here.
    Clevo P150HM - Intel Core i7-2760QM Sandy Bridge - 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM - SanDisk Extreme 240Gb SSD - Radeon 6990M @ 740/1000

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •