Is Hardware Central Dying? - Page 3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

View Poll Results: Is Hardware Central Dying?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 21.43%
  • No

11 78.57%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Hardware Central Dying?

Do you have any suggestions for getting the OT posters to also post in the tech forums

Quote Originally Posted by nodnod View Post
    The worst part is that I believe that everyone concedes the fact that Intel do have better performance that AMD but AMD still has the best bang for the buck
    That was certainly the reason for the death of the CPU forum, IMO. There used to be some great debates in there by TOTT (ThreeOnTheTree), Hoyle, Ol'Man, etc. Most of it went way over my head but it was interesting nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    So any good proposals for bringing all the old members back?
    TBH I think it's pretty unlikely that we'd tempt back many people who left nearly a decade ago. Even without all the OT stuff, people move on and find other places to talk.

I guess the best chance for HWC is to somehow tempt more new members on board and keep them interested - the problem these days seem to be that most people who sign up don't stick around when they see how quiet the forums are.

HWC brands itself as "Your source for in-depth computer hardware info", but maybe this is where it's fallen behind some other sites.

Take a look at Toms Hardware for instance - they have a plethora of reviews and benchmarks for CPU's and GPU's, which are updated every few months. That kind of content is popular and draws people to the site, so they then use the forums too.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Yes it is.... it only seems like its the old crew is here. An occasional newb might comeby for a quickie but they don't stay, and might not even reply back to the suggestions that were offered, as they may have found help quicker elsewhere.

where is that elsewhere.....??

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy27 View Post
    I was a bit too late (Feb 03) to see the OT forum in its original incarnation - was it a really as out-of-hand as the above thread suggests?
    Nah... It wasn't wild at all. It was pretty quiet for a week or so after a few heated arguments and debates among the regulars at the ot forum. What happened after that is wdeep started started spamming 2 pages of worth threads at the OffTopic forum because it is in his opinion that the the place was boring.

I logged off expecting to see the guy banned. After going away for a few days, lo and behold the Offtopic forum was forever gone. I almost fell out of my chair. (metaphorically speaking of course)

It used to be a nice place to chat about and talk about anything with members from around the world. Need to fix anything, need advice etc there are always helpful members around. Instead of nurturing and guiding the Otforum to be useful and a nice place to hang around, the former admin choose to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by nodnod View Post
    Maybe we need to start some good vs threads and some actual chat about products. The worst part is that I believe that everyone concedes the fact that Intel do have better performance that AMD but AMD still has the best bang for the buck
    Well, We can always talk about AMD vs Nvidia... but we are both using Nvidia.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Do you have any suggestions for getting the OT posters to also post in the tech forums
    This is a chicken and egg situation. It's almost a decade already without any improvement. Expecting an improvement without changes is an exercise in futility and I'm not talking about Obama. Just bring it back as it was before including post counts in Ot. What does the current admin here have to loose? Need to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

TBH I think it's pretty unlikely that we'd tempt back many people who left nearly a decade ago. Even without all the OT stuff, people move on and find other places to talk.

I guess the best chance for HWC is to somehow tempt more new members on board and keep them interested - the problem these days seem to be that most people who sign up don't stick around when they see how quiet the forums are.
    Yeah, I know. People change, some get married, some grow up and move on, new responsibilities etc. Would be nice to hear from them once in a while, but who would post in an empty lifeless forum anyway?

HWC brands itself as "Your source for in-depth computer hardware info", but maybe this is where it's fallen behind some other sites.
    It's highly exaggerated IMO. Haven't read the main page in years.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Ratt - you do know that we've had an OT forum for the last five years or more don't you

No we don't. What we've had before was called Off Topic Forum not Central Lounge. The difference? Posts in Central Lounge do not count toward the HWC post total. Posts in the previous Offtopic Forum does. Clearly that does not make it the same.

Why bother posting and contributing something positive if it does not make it into the post total?

After 10 years, it's time for a change... or if you prefer, to evolve in order not to become extinct.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"

So somebody that posts hundreds of posts worth of dribble in an OT forum...They should get their post count increased? What does that mean or indicate? And who looks at post counts and for what reason.

You joined here six months before I did but have a lot less posts? To me that means nothing except one of has more free time then the other

Some sites don't allow people into the OT fourm untill they've posted a few hundred times in the Tech forum section... Their reward is being allowed access

So somebody that posts hundreds of posts worth of dribble in an OT forum...They should get their post count increased? What does that mean or indicate? And who looks at post counts and for what reason.
    How do you think my post count got high? I remember back in 2000 in the original OT forum (mostly), I had 1,000 posts in a month.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

So somebody that posts hundreds of posts worth of dribble in an OT forum...They should get their post count increased? What does that mean or indicate? And who looks at post counts and for what reason.)
    Come on. Let's not be too cynical here. Just how would you know that if the OT forum were to reinstate post counts right now, there will be hundreds of post of dribble in HWC in let's say a week?

A little less cynical and a bit more positive would be nice.

As it is, there's only an average of 3 members logged in simultaneously every day. Most of the time its the moderators. LOL!

You joined here six months before I did but have a lot less posts? To me that means nothing except one of has more free time then the other
    Well, I don't really care much for post counts too and I could have matched Huge's or Toolbox's post counts, but that's your opinion and mine. If post counts really matter to me, I wouldn't be in HWC today.

Some sites don't allow people into the OT fourm untill they've posted a few hundred times in the Tech forum section... Their reward is being allowed access
    I don't care about what other sites do or don't allow in their forums. Sure, I am a member of some other forum with roughly 3000 members logged in simultaneously every day and yes many of the sub forums that I participate are not counted into the total posts. Why compare an elephant to a flea?

In summary, after 10 years there is still little activity here and in fact HWC is losing steam. Sure anyone can give reasons and excuses for the decline. But why are there thriving forum communities out there surviving and why can't HWC be one of them? And if I were the Big Boss of Internet.com, I expect results and if this is what they have to show after 10 years, there's gonna be a lot of answering to do......

At the end of the day it's not my job that's at stake.

I'm merely suggesting some changes to the forum that I strongly believe will bring positive changes in the future. Whether the current admin chooses to do so or not it is the admin's prerogative and I will respect that. Full Ahead or Full Astern the Ratt will tag along for the ride.

Ratt...

what are some of these very active website that u frequent?? I'd like to check them out, especially if they offer Terminal Server networking help... as I have difficulties with that platform, considering I'm not an IT person, but a small biz guy running my little company, I need to save cash and do my own networking.

To breathe life back into the forums will be a very tough task imo. It saddens me as this was the first hardware forum i took seriously and i know what it once was.. Even though i wish the best, being realistic i don't think it will ever see the days of glory it once did as choices by certain folks ran off the original commited core members who were here from the beginning, getting new blood this late in the game is nigh on impossible. I am also a member of forums that see more traffic and posts in an hour than this forum did in the last 10yrs
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

which forums are you apart of that has that much traffic and participation??

look for fedoraforum.org and overclockers.net.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Ratt - I'm not trying to be "cynical."

You're the person that said there's a difference between an OT fourm that counts the posts and those that don't... Now you seem to also agree that post counts don't mean anything.

Net Results - the HWC Lounge that's been here for over five years hasn't made a difference.

If you have any other ideas on how to increase the traffic - post away. I'm sure the new admin that'll be here someday will be all ears.

The good news is that I know for a fact that HWC isn't on any list to be shut down. It's here to stay...

Quote Originally Posted by whutsupdoc View Post
    Ratt...

what are some of these very active website that u frequent?? I'd like to check them out, especially if they offer Terminal Server networking help... as I have difficulties with that platform, considering I'm not an IT person, but a small biz guy running my little company, I need to save cash and do my own networking.
    Honestly, I post here if I have any computer problems. It's just that I don't face problems nor issues with my computers on a frequent basis. Anyway, I don't think it's appropriate for me to link to other forums in this particular thread.

Why not post here? I'm sure the members here could help if they can.

However, if you are wondering who's hot, who's cold, who's down and who's out:

UTSE: big boards message boards statistics

Yup. Even HWC is in the list. Have a look also at the forums Glussier suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post
    To breathe life back into the forums will be a very tough task imo. It saddens me as this was the first hardware forum i took seriously and i know what it once was.. Even though i wish the best, being realistic i don't think it will ever see the days of glory it once did as choices by certain folks ran off the original commited core members who were here from the beginning, getting new blood this late in the game is nigh on impossible. I am also a member of forums that see more traffic and posts in an hour than this forum did in the last 10yrs
    I feel the same way too but even a mighty oak starts from an acorn. I'm sure that the remaining members here would make a good core for the next 10 years.

Never say never... just like the song by Justin Bieber. They played it too many times on the radio I think I'm beginning to like it. HELP!!!

You're the person that said there's a difference between an OT fourm that counts the posts and those that don't... Now you seem to also agree that post counts don't mean anything.

Net Results - the HWC Lounge that's been here for over five years hasn't made a difference.
    The difference is that I don't think that our opinions represents the majority of what the old members and potential members want.

Like I suggested, lets start again from the beginning, as it was once, 11 years ago. Nurture and guide it to become a friendly helpful and fun place to talk and hang out. That was what brought me here in the first place.

Thread Information