[RESOLVED] memory choices
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] memory choices

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] memory choices

I'm doing my first build, its for 3d CAD and rendering (student level). So far I got a i7 920, quadro fx 580, and asRock extreme mobo. I'm trying to decide on memory, I want 3 sticks with 2 GB each, so far broke it down to these four:

OCZ3G1600LV6GK, 1600MHz, PS3 12800, 8-8-8-24, $110 good balance, good price

OCZ3X1600LV6GK, 1600MHz, PS3 12800, 8-8-8-24 or it can run with
    1800MHz, PS3 12800, 9-9-9-28 $160 good reviews

OCZ3P1600LV6GK, 1600MHz, PS3 12800, 7-7-7-24 $145 I read that lower latency is more important than higher speed for 3d aps.

CORSAIR XMS3 TR3X6G1600C8 G, 1600MHz, PS3 12800, 8-8-8-24, $155 This one has very high ratings at newegg.

All of them are DDR3 240 pin and run on 1.65V.

Any other suggestions would be helpful but I would really like to narrow it down. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by revRazor; October 23rd, 2009 at 02:27 AM.

Keep it in perspective.

The Corsair may have higher ratings but there were only 36 feedbacks
    versus
    OCZ Gold with 288 feedbacks.
    OCZ XMP with 98 feedbacks.
    OCZ Platinum with 175 feedbacks.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

True, thats part of what creates the dilemma. I wish all products on newegg had hundreds of reviews and other sites had more reviews too.
    I could solve that problem by getting the CORSAIR DOMINATOR; 258 give it 5 stars out of 282 (91%) but it has the same specs and is $205. Don't really want to pay that price. After reading a lot of the good and bad reviews I think I want to avoid OCZ. I'm looking at Corsair and g-skill more now.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Somebody on a forum I visit once said "I'd rather trust a phone psychic over Newegg reviews", so take these reviews with a grain of salt, especially negative ones or even overly positive ones. IIRC, reviewers on Newegg can post a review of a product either before owning it, or not owning it at all so both disgruntled non-users and fanboys can have a go at it. Overall they can be a good indicator if a product will be a dud or not, but don't stress too much on the low ratings (check if many people found them helpful at the bottom).

I'm building an i7 860 system for a friend and I chose the G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 7-7-7-24-2N kit (this one, except mine is the 4GB dual-channel version as it's for a P55/Socket 1156 platform). I was hesitating between it and a more expensive Corsair kit and I went with the G.Skill because it was used and recommended by many people on other forums and has better timings than the Corsair (not that it matters that much outside of benchmarks though). Otherwise, if you don't care for the timings or overclocking the basic G.Skill kit looks very good as well.

I received them last Thursday and haven't had time to start putting the system together so I might have more feedback on them later this week.

(P.S : Newegg doesn't seem to carry the triple-channel version of the kit I bought, the closest they have is the 8-8-8-24 one, which is not too shabby either, but doesn't have any reviews as of yet.)

Core i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell U2415

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Can you recommend other sites with good selection, prices or reviews?
    Besides newegg I check tigerdirect, zipzoomfly, amazon, ebay, and google shopping.
    none really have much reviews

I was about to get the Corsair Dominators, it seemed like a secure decision against having future problems. Then I saw the same model with 7-7-7-20 for $4 more on amazon so I scooped them up. I know its a lot to spend on memory but if something went wrong I wouldn't have a clue how to diagnose the problem. If a few bucks extra now will save me future agony then it is well worth it.

Thanks a lot guys

I'm afraid I can't help you much there as I buy my stuff from DirectCanada vv

As for eventual problems, Corsair has outstanding support (presence in many forums as well) so you're in good hands there. And there's no such thing as dropping too much money on a workstation

Core i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell U2415

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thread Information