AMD & TNT2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: AMD & TNT2

AMD & TNT2

Hello,

I just built my new box. AMDk62-450, 192 megs of ram. I got a voodoo2 card now but have preordered (dont ask me why) a TNT2 (creative) I was wondering do I have enough processor for this card? I have heard that most people are buying it (TNT2) if its a P2 400 and up.

Thanks

You would have been better off with a Voodoo3. It vastly outperforms TNT2 on AMD systems. You may have acceptable performance on the TNT2 with your system. Run it and post a reply to let me know how it went.
    With greater knowledge comes greater understanding!

I agree, the voodoo3 performs much better on amd systems since it is not such a cpu hop video card even though i am a tnt fan. but the facts are the facts.
    Asus A7V 1.02
    AMD T-Bird 850@1000
    Asus GeForce3 Ti200
    SB Live!Value
    3Com 10/100 NIC
    2 IBM HD's totaling 60 GB
    384 MB PC133 RAM CAS2.
    4 80mm Case Fans
    Antec Black SX1030 Case

Personally I'd wait and see for a week or two, nVidia is meant to be releasing some quality 3DNow drivers for the TNT/TNT2, they are rumoured to be out any time now so check out the hardware sites for reviews once they are released. Then you'll be able to see whether TNT2 scores compare well to Voodoo 3 scores on K6-2s.

Geoff

thanks for the info everyone. I will let everyone know how it is. hell worst comes to worst, ill have a tnt2 for sale

frank

One thing, nVidia's new drivers were released on fullon3d's site before they supposed to be available, he performed tests with K6-2 systems and the drivers did not improve hardly at all, may upwards of 5-10 fps if your lucky. With the v3 I almost get 20 fps better in those resource sucking games, nVidia made the guy take them off the site because they were not supposed to be released yet, there are a few people who have gotten them, but from what he shows, nVidia still needs to do a lot of work.
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

Hey, I don't mean to get too far off topic here, but what does everyone think of the Savage4 with AMD?

well I am not sure, I havent seen anything on it yet, does it have good driver support for 3dnow? If it does it might be a good choice, I would like to see how their texture compression works with the amds and games.
    Vidfreek:

Ok so now what do you thinK i should do. you know i know better then to buy into all of this hype. hell i am a director of marketing for christ sake!! but do i go with the 3000 or the tnt2? let me know what you all think.

thanks

I've been digging around for info on the S4 with AMD, but am not finding a lot.
    I currently have G200 with V2 12Meg. It does a good job, but like many others, I'm itching for more. An overwhelming case is being made for V3, but the 32bit sirens...man; tempting. That leaves me wondering about S4 and G400, too....GEEZ!
    Don't you guys just go nuts about all this cool stuff??

I am looking at putting a system together using a super-7 motherboard with at least an AMD k6-2 400 or k6-III 400. The real question I have is what video card to use. There are a number of reviews that say many of the AGP cards will not work with the super -7 boards. Does anyone have some reliable data on this issue that could point me in the right direction. The type of card I would be most interested in is a 2d/3d card such as the nVidia TNTx products or an equivalent. What I don't want to do is spend $$$ on a card that won't work. If there is not a decent AGP card then I will settle for using a stable PCI version of one of these cards.

Anyone have some usefull/helpful information?

Thanks.

Scott

Scott,

Take it from me. No doubt about this. get the asus p5a motherboard!!!! its about 100 bucks and i will never get another manuf. board then asus. nothing but great on asus boards for my experience. Ok the chip. the k6-3 is very pricy right now. if you can wait till the k-7 comes out later this year you will be ready for the k6-3 price to drop at least 200 bucks. but if you got to get it now then go with a k6-2 450, its about 125 bucks and its a nice chip. cant overclock for **** but its a fast processor for me. the 475 and 500 mhz are pricy right now.

video card. read my other post you can see i bougth into the bull. i went with the v3 3000. i have a fan on it and can only get 180 mhz out of it. And i lost triple play 2000, it wont work!!

i have heard nothing but problems about tnt chip and the amd3dnow drivers. 3dfx works pretty close to make sure amd chip is supported and i have had little problem with it.

I would get the v3 2000 and over clock it to 166mhz the same as the stock 3000, hell you might get 183mhz. which is stock v3 3500. i wont use the tv out so the 2000 runs the same type of ram and set up as the 3000.

i used to have a speedstar and a monster2 when i did a 3dmax demo i was getting 15-20 max fps. with the v3 3000 i am getting about 40fps with peeks in the 70,s. (does any body know if thats good) my 3dmarks was about 3000 and the processor was about 6000) can anybody tell me what the hell that means? but my triple play 2000 locks up all the time with the patch installed for the v3.

if i was you i would go with sli and wait till the v4 comes out. the v4 should be a great card. i think sdfx got alittle complacient and didnt do their best work. but i am happy with the card.

Well you definately got some good scores on 3dmark, cause my friends p2 464 (o/c celery) doesnt get that good with the v3. That 3dnow support really helps. Your not the only one having problems with some games and the v3, I am having a problem with shogo and redline, shogo's mouse doesnt work right no matter what settings or resolution I am in, and redline cant be played at above 1024x768 after the latest patch, v3 still needs some kinks worked out thats for sure.
    Vidfreek:

Chaz, what the hell are you talking about I get almost 4000 on 3dMarkMax. Dude like almost everytime you reference something to my computer it turns out not to be true.

Thread Information