[RESOLVED] Seatools found errors. What are errors?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Seatools found errors. What are errors?

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Seatools found errors. What are errors?

So running Seatools on a Seagate 40gb laptop hard drive said so far 350 errors. So do I let it run. I chose repair.
    What do these errors mean?
    What kind of errors are these?
    I went thru the help files from Seatools and it does not say what the errors mean?
    Do they mean bad sectors, clusters?
    I have formatted the drive before I ran this test. I am running the Long Generic Test with repair btw.
    I wish it would say something like "bad sectors"
    Is 350 errors bad, alot or not much at all?
    Seatools does not go into the specifics.
    I will watch for the Failed sign though. So I will let it run until finished.
    Thanks
    JB

"I know nothing."
    Cheers.

It's junk. I've wasted time trying those repair modes. Maybe if it's one error, but 350? Generally what happens is if you go through the process and run the test again, you have more errors. And you can't trust a drive like that. Toss it. Especially a laptop drive. I think they fail sooner because of the heat and the bumps.

It's interesting. Remember that I had formatted the drive so there was nothing on the drive. I did a chkdsk with my tech computer and it said that it had 3472 KB in bad sectors. I don't know if that's alot or not. If it isn't then maybe I can use it for an external. What do ya think?
    Thanks
    JB

3472 KB in bad sectors
    Why would you even consider using this drive again? It will only get worse and you will lose data.

maybe I can use it for an external. What do ya think?
    Generally what happens is if you go through the [repair] process and run the test again, you have more errors. And you can't trust a drive like that. Toss it
    Already answered.

Will do. How much is alot and not much for bad sectors. Is four bad sectors a good drive for a external storage? Is 4 BS really a bad HD?
    I wouldn't put a HD with any bad sectors back into Windows service though. Just wonder what would really be considered as bad because I have a dozen laptop hard drives sitting around that I could throw away or make externals with.

Thanks
    Thanks
    JB

Once a drive starts to go, I toss it. You will only get more and more bad sectors and lose data.

Thread Information