Differences b/t video card with fan and no fan
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Differences b/t video card with fan and no fan

Differences b/t video card with fan and no fan

looking to purchase a "new" AGP card for my kids system (yeah i know agp is ancient, but cash is a problem right now... so this is the cheapest avenue for me currently)

looking at geForce FX6200... what i've noticed is some cards have a fan and heatsink, and others JUST have a heatsink !?!?!?! why is that???

i thought all these cards needed a fan to keep the heat down... someone explain please... and while ur at it, if u know anything of the PNY GeForce 6200 AGP please let me know.

mainly trying to run Sims 3 (and it won't work on my kids radeon 9250)

thanks
    Last edited by whutsupdoc; September 7th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.

They are passive cards. Lower-end GPUs doesn't generate that much heat, so just a heatsink is usually enough to prevent overheating. They run hotter than their fanned versions, but are as stable as long as there's enough airflow around. The big advantage with them is the silence, as such cards usually have tiny noisy fans, so the passive versions are appreciated among silence freaks and HTPC users.

As for the GeForce 6200, it is a DirectX 9 card so in theory it should run Sims 3, just don't expect neck-breaking performance

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thread Information