new system, network card limited or no connectivity
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: new system, network card limited or no connectivity

new system, network card limited or no connectivity

gigabyte mobo, model # ga-m61pme-s2p

Windows detects the onboard as well as a pci nic with no problems, device is working properly... Latest updated drivers (for onboard), windows detects the older pci card.

I have installed (write zeros to the entire drive between each install) windows xp home, pro and windows 7 (rc1). Have tried two different known working ethernet cables. Two different hard drives. Removing and reinstalling the drivers under device manager. Moved the pci nic to a different slot. Going to try flashing the bios, and hope that works. Or possibly disabling the nic in bios and see if that effects anything (pci nic) then shutdown and re-enable it.

Windows xp home have slipstreamed updates into the install up to jan.09, xp pro has slip stream updates till last month.

What really annoys me is that windows seems to think everything is fine (no exlamation points in device manager). Windows does realize that the cable is unplugged if I unlpug it.

This is the second new gigabyte mobo I have had issues with in the past few months. The other one the esata wouldn't work!! Don't want to get into it

Quote Originally Posted by gazix View Post
    ... limited or no connectivity...
    Those errors are usually encountered when there are issues with the network hardware.
    eg. router and/or ADSL/Cable modem.

State your network setup and related information.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Both connected to a router. I have tried three other computers on the same ethernet cables (fed throughout the house) and they work without any issues.

The network setup shouldn't have any effect. It is just something screwy going on with this one computer.

dsl modem - router - 4 ethernet lines fed to the corners of the house. The 3 computers in the basement having no issues, same with the one upstairs. Just the newest box having issues (not mine, building for a family member). Debating dropping it off to see if works at their place?
    Last edited by gazix; August 29th, 2009 at 12:43 AM.

To troubleshoot,
    Remove the PCI network card and test with onboard LAN only.

To eliminate router as an issue,
    Test the current trouble system with ethernet cable that is connected to one of the three systems in the basement.

Additonal resources,
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I had put the second nic in the system after found that the onboard didn't behave. Thought that was odd that this one has the exact same problem. The two ethernet cables I had already tested; one was upstairs and the other was on the of the basements ones.

Already went to many websites like the one listed below, just gives the same useless information. Already ruled those options out in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by gazix View Post
    I had put the second nic in the system after found that the onboard didn't behave...
    If you're stating that both the onboard and the PCI NIC has the identical symptoms,
    That would eliminate the computer system being the issue.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Ya, I see what you mean now. Sounds like it wasn't working only after putting the second card in.

I would tend to think that because both cards have the same issues, that would lead me to believe that it is the system.

I'll prob try a few more things, then return it sunday or monday for a different brand.

If applicable,
    Make sure that the PCI expansion slot used by the NIC is not sharing its' resources with one of the onboard device.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Manually input an ip address, gateway.... still can't connect to the internet. But I could connect to the router (through internet explorer). So lugged the case and crt monitor close enough to the router (in the other room) to connect directly to the dls modem and works fine. Just something really screwy with the router. What the hell eh?

If port on the router and ethernet cable has been ruled out,
    Quick guess would be security settings on the router.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information