HP Scanjet 5200c woes driving me crazy
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HP Scanjet 5200c woes driving me crazy

HP Scanjet 5200c woes driving me crazy

All of a sudden my HP 5200c scanner no longer works. When I execute HP PrecisionScan from the start menu, I get the following message, "Sorry, cannot find your scanner". I run the diagnostic test and I get "Scanner Not Responding". The scanner is connected to my PIII via the USB port. My HP Deskjet 812c is connected to the parallel port on the scanner and passes through from the scanner to the pc via the scanner's parallel port. I went to www.scanjet.hp.com for technical support and hoped I would find a solution. I've tried all recommendations, i.e. uninstalling and reinstalling the HP PrecisionScan software to no avail. After installing the software and plugging in the scanner, the computer cannot recognize the scanner being connected. Under the Device Manager window, there is no entry for an 'image' device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does your printer still work?

------------------
    Vegetarian stands for Lousy Hunter!
    Vegetarian stands for Lousy Hunter!

Yes, the printer works now. Is it related?

No image device is found under device manager. Nothing....

Hiyas
    HP5200c support page : http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhom...njet59305.html
    Software & Drivers : http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindex...9305_swen.html
    Stimon solution : http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport...Tfile=bps03107

The trouble is the connection device. USB or Parrallel port. There are setting in BIOS that enable/disable them. If BIOS was accessed recently then best check BIOS.
    Drivers could be confused, corrupted, or missing. Start computer in safe mode, go into the 'Device manager' (Windows Key + Pause or Break Key). Check the image devices there, Highlight and remove the driver. While there check around for any duplicate drivers in other catagories. Highlight and remove them also. During the next normal boot up Windows will install one set of new drivers.
    For the heck of it, in the safe mode device manager highlight and remove drivers for the LP1 port and the USB port drivers. have windows reinstall those drivers automaticaly again.
    Before booting have the scanner on. Once in windows anfter the drivers reinstalled. test using the scanner test. If it still doesn't work. Un-install the twain HP scanner software (HP PrecisionScan) & reboot computer. Install the HP PrecisionScan software and reboot then test.
    The scanner is working OK, its the communication link that is messing up. For a SCSI scanner I'm familar with, same problem occures when the SCSI card aspi layering goes bad. Same error messages at same time. It is fixed by updateing the ASPI layering. What is the USB and Parallel port equivlent, I don't know, but there is one for sure.
    regards Bronto

Well, I've did everything as suggested here and from scanjet.hp.com. Still nothing. I have one other USB device, an Intel picture webcam. I put it on both USB ports and it was recognized. Looking at Device Manager, and selecting the USB Root Hub Properties and selecting the 'Power Properties' tab, it's merely identified as '?Unknown USB Device'. My scanner is now an expensive paper weight!

[This message has been edited by y22biker (edited 01-28-2001).]

I have that same problem with a HP ScanJet 4200c on Windows XP.

The darn scanner just stopped working on day. I tried everything HP's tech support threw at me to no avail. I suspect it may be hardware relater, probaly a bad lamp or something. If someone knows a workaround for this problem if any please reply.

------------------
    Did it go boom ?
    Did it go boom ?

If you havenít done it yet:

- Uninstall the Precision Scan software.
    - Do a search on drive C for TWAIN.
    - Delete all of the TWAIN files you find in the Windows folder.
    - Reinstall the scanner software.

What happens is that the twain files can become corrupted. Uninstalling the software doesnít remove them and a reinstall will not overwrite them. If you remove them from the Windows folder the software install will also load the twain files.

Donít remove twain files from any folder other than Windows.
    If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs, then there is something you don't know

we had an hp deskjet printer that we replaced w/ a Canon Multipass C530 Multipass C530 color bubble jet printer/fax/copier/scanner because we thought we'd like it better, but it couldn't get along with the Visioneer paperport scanner we had, using Win98 Dell pc. So we went back to the deskjet, which was willing to print the stuff we scanned on the Visioneer, until it broke(flashing light, slams to the left when u turn it on) so Q;
    is it worth it to fix these printers, or do you just throw them in the dumpster; already bought an Epson stylus C60 to replace it, and now for 1st time have seen the scanner quit right in the middle of a scan which so far we "fix" by rebooting and turning the scanner off & on, So the scanners used to screw up the printers, and now the printers screw up the scanners? Normal?

Free at last, free at last! Thank gawd almighty, I'm free at last!

I have finally disconnected my HP Scanjet 5200C for the last time, and am about to take it to the landfill and pump a 1/2 dozen 12 gauge slugs into it.

I'm one stubborn son of a gun, and have been trying to keep this thing working for years. With each Windows upgrade, it would either die or display more problems, and I would spend hours uninstalling, reinstalling, cleaning the Registry, etc. etc. etc. I could usually get it working, though start-up delays would stretch to minutes, and false starts would consume up to an additional minute for each scan.

Eventually, it stopped working altogether (except sometimes it would manage one scan immediately after a reboot).

Not wishing to admit defeat, I bought a parallel port PCI card, and--not being able to find a prehistoric parallel cable with the right connectors--soldered up my own.

And the parallel connection worked!

For 30 minutes.

Then it died again.

This weekend, I finally broke down and bought a beautiful new Epson V300, which---just works.

Off to the range.

Thread Information