HP zv5000 laptop hard drive replacement?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HP zv5000 laptop hard drive replacement?

Question HP zv5000 laptop hard drive replacement?

Hi all! I have been given a HP zv5000 laptop. It said it had no hard drive, and sure enough it was missing! So I have looked at forums and thought I had it licked, an EIDE ATA-6, a Samsung. But when I got it and put it in the bay, it still says that there is no drive, and it comes like 1/8th inch short of connecting in the bay, any ideas? Did I get the wrong type, or any help needed, thanks

Some laptops use a small adapter. It's probably still on the original drive, and looking like it's part of the drive. Pry it off and put it on the new drive.

Quote Originally Posted by teleguybob View Post
    ... HP zv5000 laptop...
    You can refer to page 6-16 of the Maintenance and Service Guide for HDD specs.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Still need a little more help, please...

To the 1st answer, the original drive is gone so that isn't an option, and I screwd it in where the original was screwed into, so probably not the answer? I bought an ATA-6 EIDE drive, needed to know if that is trh right one or not, and to the 2nd answer, where is this guide that you refered to, please? I am not familiar with it, though, I will gladly look at it, if you'd tell me where to look for it, please, and thanks to you both for your thoughtfulness to reply!!

A link to the HP site where that manual is-

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...roduct=385148&

the original drive is gone so that isn't an option
    Then you need to find a replacement adapter. You have the correct type of drive, but it requires the adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Then you need to find a replacement adapter. You have the correct type of drive, but it requires the adapter.
    Actually, I think that my HP laptop does not have an adapter-my son's Dell does, but I don't think my HP does. I will check when I get home tonight.

Have you screwed the drive into the caddy (the little tray it fits in) correctly? And when you put the tray back in, have you pushed the drive back (or down, as the case may be) to fit it onto the connector? In my laptop, just putting the tray back in doesn't do it-you have to slide it back to get it to connect.

Just a thought...

In fact, my older HP laptop does not have an adapter on the back of its IDE drive.

Again, check to make sure you have the replacement drive mounted in the caddy correctly, and then be sure to push the drive onto the connector when you replace the caddy in the laptop.

And in looking at the manual I linked you to and other places, I do not see an adapter-maybe it is just a case of not sliding the caddy into position. I hope so.

I don't mean to step on toes, but I'm pretty sure it does have an adapter.

http://www.excelcomputerinc.com/html...tegory=adapter

HP Pavilion ZV5000 series (ZV5000, ZV5000T, ZV5000Z, ZV5001, ZV5030, ZV5034), ZV5100 series (ZV5100, ZV5101, ZV5103, ZV5105, ZV5120, ZV5150, ZV5160), ZV5300 series (ZV5310, ZV5316, ZV5320, ZV5330, ZV5340, ZV5343, ZV5346, ZV5360, ZV5370, ZV4380, ZV5386) hard drive adapter for ATA (non SATA) drives

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I don't mean to step on toes, but I'm pretty sure it does have an adapter.

http://www.excelcomputerinc.com/html...tegory=adapter
    My toes are just fine. Thanks.

I did not dig that deep. I am sure you are right. Mine does not have one, and I was hoping teleguybob's did not, either. But it would certainly make sense and explain the problem.

Cheers.

I have an HP that uses an adapter, and I missed noticing it the second time I changed the hard drive. It's small enough that it can look like part of the drive. And it's not like I don't know what a laptop IDE drive looks like.

Someone at HP/Compaq goofed.
    Rather annoying that the official service manual made no reference to an adapter in use.
    It mentions number of screws to use, type and details exact procedures involved but no adapter reference.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thumbs up My undying thanks to you all!

Guys, I haven't had a chance to look at the HP site to buy stuff yet, and thanks for the external link as well, awesome, but I am sure that you all are right. I can't thank you enough for the help. I am not a novice at this stuff, but if you don't have the drive to look at in the first place, well... And I never had an HP laptop, but free is free you know, always have stuck with Toshibas, so anyway, THANKS!!

Thread Information