[RESOLVED] Acer Aspire 3000 random shutdowns - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Acer Aspire 3000 random shutdowns

Be sure and use Midknyte's link. The instructions at Arctic Silver are very thorough, and specific for different types of cpu.

If you use the shim idea, I'd be inclined to put a small piece of pvc electrical tape over that IC at the bottom to prevent any possible contact or shorting. The idea of the shim was to put more pressure on the heatsink for better contact and to help take heat out of the heatsink and thus the cpu. Good luck!

SOLVED! While disassembling the laptop i opened the cover to the fan compartment and there was a solid 5mm dust wall on the inside of the intake. so i cleared that and bent the 3 legs on the heat sink. i just had it running at 100% CPU capacity for 3 hours and its holding between 60-65. i want to thank all of you for your assistance and efforts. working on this laptop was a great learning experience and i feel much more comfortable with working on laptops in the future.

Thanks again!

Congratulations! You can't fix 'em all, but you won't fix any if you don't try.

there was a solid 5mm dust wall on the inside of the intake
    Intake? The hole directly above the fan is the intake. I think you mean exhaust which is what I meant when I said this:
    Make sure there is nothing between the fan and the heatsink fins. I've seen that clogged up with a solid wall of dirt before.

Thread Information