[RESOLVED] Acer Aspire 3000 random shutdowns
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Acer Aspire 3000 random shutdowns

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Acer Aspire 3000 random shutdowns

Hi, i have a friends laptop that i'm trying to fix for her. It is an Acer Aspire 3000 and it is shutting down randomly. It always makes 2 beeps before it shuts down. I tried reinstalling windows XP but it shut down during the install process.
    so i think its a hardware issue but i don't have any suspects. Happens with or without being plugged in.

Thanks for any help

Did you clean out the heatsink/fan with compressed air?

Yes it's a good idea to clean hs/fan. Take apart to get at fan, it's better to clean it that way. Possible fan is shot, make sure it is going on.
    Could be memory also. If 2 modules, take one out and turn on,see if any improvement Then try the 1'st one you took out by itself.
    Borrow known working memory from somebody if you can.
    Run Memtest86 if you can.

thanks for the input i was thinking possible heat issues myself i will test those theories tomorrow evening. Any more thoughts will be appreciated and i will keep you guys updated.

Quote Originally Posted by 27th-Sabre View Post
    ... Acer Aspire 3000 ... It always makes 2 beeps ...
    That model likely has a Phoenix BIOS.
    Link,
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Go here http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/acer...ws;summaryList to see reviews. I only checked the first one and it was overhheat related.

i removed a RAM stick last night and was able to complete an install of XP without crashing, but i didnt have to set up Memtest. Hopefully i will have more time to mess with it tonight. ill keep you posted.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Did you clean out the heatsink/fan with compressed air?
    the fans aren't that bad but i am still going to clean them when i get my hands on a can of compressed air

The reviews harry01 linked all talked of heat issues. Less ram might be a slight help with heat simply by reducing the warm objects inside the case, but of course will hinder operation. It sounds like this particular laptop needs maximum attention to cooling: aggressive cleaning of the cooling fan, and probably use of one of those laptop coolers, one that lines up its fans with the intakes on the Acer.

This model might have a design problem internally with the contact between the cpu and the cooler, but dealing with that would require disassembly and DIY skills to fabricate some improvement. The only other thing I can suggest is to look at the physical location of the cpu, hdd, and ram. Some laptops placed those heat sources (the motherboard chipset would be the other major contributor) too close to each other and exacerbated heating issues. If this were the case, SPCR (link below) has test results for some laptop hdd's on heat and power draw, to assist in finding a cooler running hdd. Samsungs are generally good.

UPDATE: i have recently installed speedfan and memtest and while running both the core temp climbs to an outrageous 100*C! then it will shut down. i have cleaned the fan and vents. I know that buying a good chill mat is probably my best bet at this point but i dont want to resort to that just yet. here is a look at what im dealing with for a cooling system.

Is the heatsink contacting the cpu properly? You may need to reapply thermal paste also.

Make sure there is nothing between the fan and the heatsink fins. I've seen that clogged up with a solid wall of dirt before.

Most people who use Speedfan are using it to reduce fan speeds. I suppose you could use it to max the fan.

I would remove the heatsink/heatpipe, clean surfaces and use fresh thermal compound. Then see if there's a way to apply a little more pressure to the heatsink, either by slightly bending the three arms or by using a shim between the heatsink and the case, preferably metal like aluminum or copper. A large thin piece of aluminum or copper touching the heatpipe (and not shorting out any of the motherboard components below) would help conduct heat away from the heatpipe.

im already in the process of applying thermal paste to the CPU (there was no pad or paste on it) taking this laptop completely apart was a puzzle but i took my time and enjoyed it as this is my 1st laptop disassembly. And DanceMan, im really liking the aluminum shim idea might give it a try if i can find something.

I dont know if i should put silver thermal compound on this CPU i dont know if it will short it out. i've inclosed a picture.

Last edited by 27th-Sabre; July 10th, 2009 at 05:55 PM.

You only put thermal paste on the center.

Even if you don't use Arctic Silver 5, the instructions are the same:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

Thread Information