Nvidia 8400 GPU flaw
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Nvidia 8400 GPU flaw

Nvidia 8400 GPU flaw

I really want to get a used Dell XPS M1330 notebook with the Nvidia GPU 8400 card. I can't really get the other version with the intel GPU because I need to use the nvidia drivers in linux for Compiz Fusion...Intel gpu is not compatiable.
    But with so many reports of the Nvidia GPU overheating and ruining the motherboard I am worried that it might happen to me. Should I take this chance?

The Dell you mentioned came out two years ago...Was the heat issue resolved a long time ago?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

i called dell tech support and they did not know of any resolve. the person said it usually happens after a year. but i am hoping it would not be everyone and i would get lucky. what do you think?

Be careful. Nvidia had an issue with the construction of the chips over a broad range of their products. It first showed up on laptop chips. For a complete technical explanation of the problem, read Charlie Demerjian's articles at the Inquirer. Over time heat cycles will cause a separation. While it's clear Charlie has a bias against Nvidia, there's enough solid research in those articles to confirm the problem.

I don't know the details of the Intel issue but I've heard it exists in the linux kernel used by current Ubuntu releases, but not in earlier linux kernels. Perhaps using the earlier LTS Ubuntu version might be a solution?

Thread Information