Graphics card updgrade for Dell Dimension 2400
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Graphics card updgrade for Dell Dimension 2400

Graphics card updgrade for Dell Dimension 2400

I purchased a new monitor and my computer is not capable of providing the correct resolution for it.

Computer: Dell Dimension 2400.
    Resolution required: 1400 x 900

I presume I need a new graphics card, and I do not do gaming or graphics its just a business apps workstation.

Could anyone tell me what would be an inexpensive solution for this situation?

I believe the Dell had PCI slots. The resolution currently offered goes from 1280 x choices to 1600 x choices.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Welcome to the Forum

You're right about the PCI slots. So, you'll need a PCI video card for that machine. Tiger Direct has a number of them to chose from. I'm at work, so I'll let you check out the specs to see which will suit you best
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

Thanks for the link... do you think any of these would work to get the resolution 1400 x 900 that I need? None of the specs really say anything about that.

Thanks again.

After I little poking around, I found I could update my present driver, which I didn't know I could do.

From the "Display" control panel I clicked on the "Settings" tab >> Advanced >> Adapter >> Properties >> "Driver" tab >> Update Driver.

This solved the problem.

Btw, the monitor is an Acer 183W and I needed 1440 x 900 resolution.

Thanks and I hope this helps.

Graphics Card for my Dimension 2400

I like to play on BigFish Games and Game House. I like the Time Management ones so they are fast, but my curser drags and it seems to freeze some as I play. I think I need to upgrade my graphics card. I've been watching the post on here about this. I have:
    Processor: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 cpu 2.20ghz
    Adapter Type: Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller
    Memory Size (for graphics) 64MB

I just upgraded my Ram to 768 MB Ram.

I think when I reloaded Windows XP I loaded Intel (R) Extreme Graphics and didn't have to. Would that make a difference and should I uninstall this Extreme Graphics?

Quote Originally Posted by computerette View Post
    I think when I reloaded Windows XP I loaded Intel (R) Extreme Graphics and didn't have to. Would that make a difference and should I uninstall this Extreme Graphics?
    Those are the drivers for your onboard video, so you pretty much have to install them unless Windows already has a driver for it, and even then your version is likely more recent. You should only uninstall them before you install a separate video card.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVDRW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thread Information