[RESOLVED] What's wrong? CPU or Motherboard?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] What's wrong? CPU or Motherboard?

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] What's wrong? CPU or Motherboard?

Last night I was resetting my computer and as I was standing up to leave the room I accidentally kicked the top of the computer. It was a pretty decent jab, though I doubt it caused any harm. Anyways, when I came back my computer was off, so I hit the power button. The fan spun one time but nothing overall happened. I have owned and opperated my computer for over a year now.

Anyways, long story short I removed everything from my computer except the motherboard, power supply, and even the hard drive and ram. The computer still failed to do anything when I hit the button except spin the CPU and PSU fan one time and then stop, so I started unplugging power cords from the motherboard itself. I unplugged the 4 pronged CPU power cord from the motherboard and the fans started running. I did not hear a beep or anything but the CPU Fan and PSU fan spun when I turned the computer on and continued to spin as though the computer were running.

So... I went out and bought a new power supply. The new power supply does the same thing except it does not even try to start when I have the 4-pronged CPU power cord plugged in. However, with the cord unplugged the fans spin. I reset the CMOS and that seemed to do nothing. I am very sad that I am without a computer and I would really appreciate any help you guys have to offer, please.

So my question is, what part do you guys think it is? The motherboard? The CPU? Remember, I cannot get any words to appear on the screen no matter what I try. Here is a link to my motherboard information and CPU information.
    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186126
    CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103776

Make sure that the 12v connector is attached to the mobo.
    Clear the CMOS and test for POST.
    To test for POST,
    Processor, processor's HSF, mobo, memory and PSU are required.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Oh dear...

I think I discovered the problem, only too late.

I was dinking around some more with my computer to see if I could isolate the problem. I again disconnected everything from my computer, only this time I disconnected my SATA cord as well (even though last time it was not fully connected to the SATA hard drive.) I switched the little switch in the back of my new power supply to see if maybe the board wasn't getting enough power before. I turned it on and it started... and then started to crackle and smoke. I yanked the cord out as fast as I could, but I knew the damage was already done.

Anyways, I started it up with the switch in the proper position again, and there were words on the screen! I thought at first that maybe the jolt of extra crispyness had actually fixed my problem, but after some thinking I realized it was probably just the SATA cord. I tried plugging the cord into my second cord slot and booting again, and it still had words on the screen. So I'm prety sure it was just the cord port 1 had gone out. Anyways, I ordered a new motherboard because it keeps saying CMOS error now and won't boot. I reset the CMOS twice with no luck. So I guess now I have a new question .

Is it likely that me flipping that switch also burned out my CPU? Or just my motherboard was damaged? I want to try putting my CPU into a new motherboard. That can't cause any new damage can it?

Your cpu may or may not be damaged, but it's unlikely you'll damage anything by trying it in your new motherboard.

Before you rebuild the computer (or build any computer), test it first outside the case on a non-conductive surface (I use a a folded newspaper). Motherboard, cpu, heatsink and fan, psu, ram, video card (if not using integrated video) and monitor, keyboard and a switch on the power on pins (or a very careful momentary touch with a spare jumper or screwdriver or metal object). You're just looking to post and get into the bios. This will tell you that the basics are working. In this state you can also connect a floppy drive and run memtest86+ or flash the bios if desired, but the main purpose of this is to confirm that the primary components are working before you install everything in the case.

Seems that the mobo is more likely faulty than the CPU, Any short connected to the mobo direct, so test the mobo first.

Hope this helps!
    Bill

Thanks!

Thanks for all your suggestions you guys. I appreciate the help. I'm waiting for my new Mobo to come in the mail and I'm going to try that out. Another quick question :P. Can I save the information that was on my hard drive when I use a new motherboard? In the past, I've found that I have to repartition my hard drive in order for it to work with my new motherboard. Can my information be saved? If so, how?

Thumbs up

The original OS properly not working on the new mobo, if you want to back up the data, you can use the HDD on your other PC as a slave drive or use external HDD case to allow you to connect the HDD to the new PC as a external drive and copy the data from there.

Hope this helps!
    Bill

All fixed!

Well, I took your idea about how to save my hard drive information. I reformatted a different old hard drive that I had lying around and then copied all of my files onto my new hard drive... Oh by the way, I had fried both my motherboard and my CPU, but the stick of ram that I had attached to the motherboard still works fine. At least I got a nice upgrade for my CPU. Turns out there was nothing wrong with my power supply after all! Well, thanks everyone for all your help. Best of luck to you all! I'm glad there's peeps out there willing to spend time to help others as you do.

Thread Information