Share a wifi over the lan
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Share a wifi over the lan

Share a wifi over the lan

I tryed to make this setup a few times and every times I get the yellow triangle on the lan addaptor or I lose the internet connection.

1st here is the setup I try to do. I have a wifi router that connect 2 laptop and a pc in different room whit no problem. Then I have a 2nd PC whit no wifi card. I'm trying to connect the last one to my other desktop and share the internet connection over there build in lan addaptor.

The problem is that when I connect the 2nd PC I lose the wifi connection. Or there are some conflic that I'm not sure how to solve. I poke around a lot and can't find any help on this on the internet. It seem that the LAN addaptor has precedence over the wifi. Or simply I havent found the right tool/program yet. I gave up on this a few week ago but now I would need the setup like this at my mothers house. They got a new PC and the situation is the same. Since the phone wall addaptor is not close enought to make physical connection, but both pc are.

Has any of u ever succeded in connecting to the internet this way ? I would realy like new idea on this because I have run out of them.

ty
    [SIZE=1]Technoplume
    Asus Crosshair 1, AMD 4800+ x2, 4G RAM
    BFG GTX 260, Acer AL2216W, ViewSonic VT2342
    Haf Full tower, Watercool Thermatake / Cooler Master
    3.3Tb ( 1gi Raid, 0.3 backup, 2tb External )
    G13, G110, G500, X-540
    750 W0117 Thermaltake Active Toughpower

What have you done software-wise to enable internet sharing? And on which machines? Both?

XP?

Need a little more detail.

That is a really wonky way to connect to the LAN. The obvious solution would be to buy another wifi adapter.

As Jimbo said, you need to specify exactly what you did. ICS or any other proxy software will create a second DHCP server in your network. 2 DHCP servers in the same network is NOT a good thing.

I havent found a 3rd party software to do this yet. All I could do so far was to try different methode of connection. Like connecting the lan before the wifi etc. Also I did try on both machine to impose different ip, and force the correct IP address. So far whit no success.

Using the network wizard and network option. I have tried to share the connection on both pc, change the network names, make different network names, Set Ip manualy, change the network configuration, enable the ICS on the wifi, and lan, or both, Bridge the wifi connector. Every time it'S either the lan or the internet connection that work. I can't get both to work at the same time.

And yes buying a new addaptor would be nice. Witch I would probably do in the future. But I still would like to know if this set up can be done.
    [SIZE=1]Technoplume
    G13, G110, G500, X-540

What you're trying to do is very tricky. As I said, ICS would create a problem.

Bridging would be the closest. You need to verify that the bridge is using the correct IPs and that they aren't overlapping DHCP addresses from the router.
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpbrdge.html

Ok I think this could work. But I ave 1 problem in visualising how to do this. So my principal desktop use a Lynksys WPN110 wifi addaptor to get on the internet. The modo, a crosshair from asus use nvidia nforce Glan adaptor. and it has 2. The secoud PC has a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP. Witch use the RealTek 8100bl adaptor.

Now in the bridge, you can't use the connection whit the ICS or ICF. Since I have only 1 physical connection. I don't see how I'm gonna bridge this setup. I can bridge both adaptor on the main desktop. But has I understand, a bridge is just like a jumper making both lan card look like a cable. Since one end does not have a cable. It would in my head not work.

I will try this and see the result
    [SIZE=1]Technoplume
    G13, G110, G500, X-540

I don't see a WPN110 from Linksys. I do see a WMP110.

You can bridge the wired and wireless connections.

That's why I said it is SO much simpler to just get another wifi adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Technoplume View Post
    ...Every time it'S either the lan or the internet connection that work. I can't get both to work at the same time.

And yes buying a new addaptor would be nice. Witch I would probably do in the future. But I still would like to know if this set up can be done.
    I got this type of setup working without any trouble. I didn't use the home networking wizard though.

The pictures I've posted below show what I did on the ICS server:

Go to the properties of the adapter that has the internet connection.

On the Advanced tab, check the box to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection:"

Select the adapter that will connect to the ICS client computer.
    Chew good now or get good later!

Thread Information