Self-built computer -Black screen - Page 3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self-built computer -Black screen

Thanks for being brave, Jimbo.

Unfortunately, you can't run that version of Prime95 from a floppy. It would have to be run from Windows. The version on UBCD is Linux-based. To clarify Prime95 is a stress test to max out your CPU. You're already having heat issues at idle (low load), so I'd watch it carefully if you can get it to run.

You might have seen UBCD4Win, which is a different project from plain UBCD. UBCD is a collection of floppy based diagnostics combined into 1 CD. All you do is boot from the CD, and pick your diag from the menu.

I don't have Linux. On, UBCD4Win, which program do you recommend for this?
    Last edited by sneakers; May 8th, 2009 at 07:12 PM.

Fair warning. UBCD4Win is harder to make than UBCD. If you can't handle plain UBCD, I'm not sure you should try UBCD4Win. It's not just a download and burn.

UBCD4Win also has Prime95.
    http://ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

Instead of doing all this UBCD/UBCD4Win stuff, the easiest thing would probably be to swap out the CPU. I know you probably don't have a spare, so you may need to ask a friend.

You can try running at the benchmarks and diags, but you'd get a quicker answer by merely swapping the CPU.

The demo on Win UBCD was Chinese to me, and justa bout everyone in the workshop. The instructor is a professional, and we're mostly hobbyists or use comps at work.

Borrowing a CPU is not do-able.

There's no other reliable program for testing CPU defects? Otherwise, since it wasn't the memory, and we've ruled out the mobo and PSU, I'll just send it back to Intel. The other question was, would you recommend a better fan/sink with the new CPU? This one is not doing the job, with the temp at 138. Something not too pricey but reliable.

State budget for the HSF.

For ideas, you can take a look at silentpcreview

*Link edited.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    State budget for the HSF.

For ideas, you can take a look at silentpcreview
    Let me surf that site first. Thanks.

Unless you want to go out and buy diagnostic software, there aren't a whole lot of freebies specifically for CPUs.

You'll want to look for one that doesn't use the same mounting pins, since you had so much trouble with them. In general, bigger is better. However, you need to make sure it will fit in your case.

Thanks to all of you for your help. And Midknyte--remember to stop sometimes to eat and sleep.

I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead
    Bon Jovi??

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763 View Post
    Bon Jovi??
    I prefer the Cure. Whatever floats your boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrhvZdbpnm8

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763 View Post
    Bon Jovi??
    Bon Jovi didn't invent it. My Jewish mother used to say that. It's part of Jewish Mother "Woe is Me" Syndrome, and a very old joke. You'll see it in Woody Allen's Hannah and her Sisters and possibly Crimes and Misdemeanors.

The bottom linet: I probably damaged the CPU myself by not having the fan/sink flat. Those pegs are not a problem just with me. It's part of learning, unfortunately. I had these old clunkers for far too long, and wasn't careful. But I feel better knowing what the disease is, doctor, rather than wondering.

Look, I paid $200 for the whole thing because that's what I could afford (see my original post.) If it costs me little more now for better fan or whatever, I'm still ahead of the game. Dell wanted $450 for a comp with XP, not even any programs, and I avoid their comps like the plague anyway. I have a good backup system and a backup comp. Life doesn't come with a warranty.

I just went to a funny page at one of the computer mags where users were asked to tell how they screwed their computers through stupidity or carelessness. The answers, even from experienced users, were varied, amazing and some incredible. The article goes on to how to avoid each one of those mistakes. Midknyte, I know you're in the business, so maybe you wouldn't it funny. But we're all human, and we have to laugh at ourselves and the foibles we have in common. Maybe you would screw up with carpentry or painting rooms, something I do professionally.

Why DO you people (men and women?) spend so much time volunteering here, and probably at other forums too? I help others at forums, but I'm not immersed in it all day as a profession. Don't you have enough aggravation with your clients? Can you give me an answer without a joke?

And, BTW, Shinma, you just helped me at another forum where I use a diff ID. You DO get around.

Unless you want to go out and buy diagnostic software, there aren't a whole lot of freebies specifically for CPUs..
    OK. It's hard to build anything on my budget.

You'll want to look for one that doesn't use the same mounting pins, since you had so much trouble with them. In general, bigger is better. However, you need to make sure it will fit in your case.
    The case is huge, intentionally because of all the knucklebusters I've had. And now I know about mounting it outside the case.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    Bon Jovi didn't invent it.

Why DO you people (men and women?) spend so much time volunteering here, and probably at other forums too? I help others at forums, but I'm not immersed in it all day as a profession. Don't you have enough aggravation with your clients?
    I know, but my son used to play a Bon Jovi song about that constantly, so that is what I thought of.

As to the other, frankly I enjoy it. I am by trade a business lawyer, not a computer technician at all, but this really satisfies the inner engineer in me. I get plenty of aggravation from my business clients, so this is stress relief as much as anything.

Glad you are around, sneakers.

Thread Information