Self-built computer -Black screen - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self-built computer -Black screen

Some of our posts have overlapped, because I type slowly. Can't be skilled in everything!

Tags as in HTML tags? That's not important in fixing your system. Seems like you got the hang of doing quotes anyway.

You should be using the latest version. Memtest86 v3.5 or Memtest86+ v2.11. UBCD has Memtest86+ v2.11 (again, link in the sig)

http://www.memtest86.com/
    http://www.memtest.org/

UBCD also has CPU stress tests, but the temperature is a problem. If you are running at 158F without load, running a CPU stress test will really crank up the heat. You're already in danger of damaging the CPU.

Fan RPM is only part of the story. How big is the fan? Smaller fans have to spin at higher RPMS to get the same airflow as a large fan. Are you using the stock Intel heatsink?

4 AM now--I bought some more grease today at a local comp repair shop, the regular white silicone. They don't even use it any more, because they use the thermal stuff that's already on the fan, I had already ruined mine from 2 previous installs.

Just finished redoing the fan. The problem was that it has to be forced to sit flat on the CPU. You get what you pay for.

Max temp on CPU now 129,
    System temp 102
    CPU fan 2909-2922 RPM

Intel heatsink is 3 1/2" across. Don't know if it's stock; the last one I built was 6 years ago, different socket, this one in fact.

You'll have to convert, Midknyte.

The black screen is still there. Going to run the latest memtest tomorrow, or rather today. G'night.
    Last edited by sneakers; May 8th, 2009 at 04:23 AM.

Did you download UBCD yet? This is the THIRD time I'm telling you. Get the V5 beta from my sig, but here is the older tool list:
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

The Mersenne Prime test is pretty standard.

129 is still high for idle. I'm assuming you have the stock Intel heatsink.
    Just finished redoing the fan. The problem was that it has to be forced to sit flat on the CPU
    Did you mean the fan or the heatsink? If the heatsink wasn't flat, why did you say it was mounted properly?

Triple check your heatsink. This might help:
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=2231&page=6

New Memtest86+, v. 2.11 for floppy. Have run for 11 hours, no errors. When can I stop?

It looks like the culprit is the CPU by process of elimination. Going to contact Intel on Monday.

11 hours is plenty. I normally look at the # of passes rather than time.

After running so hot for an extended period, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some damage to the CPU.

[QUOTE=Midknyte;1038756]Did you download UBCD yet? This is the THIRD time I'm telling you. Get the V5 beta from my sig, but here is the older tool list:
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

Hey, pipe down I have other things in my life besides computers! Thurs I lost my internet connection, I was up with the d---- XFX till 4 AM last night, and I own a business also. Sometimes I also shop so I can eat. You either have a wife to take care of that, or you live in a pigsty and eat fast food. And I can't run the memtest and UBCD at the same time. Can I close down Memtest now? 11 hours, no errors.

We're overlapping posts, because I type badly. OK, I already have that CD, but never knew how to use it. Will download the new v. And as for the fan, those damned little split pegs drove me nuts, till I read to do it outside the case. Yup, that's my fan, and a perfect example of s---y design. I've seen experienced people online tear their hair out over those pegs.

This was only my 2nd build, Midknyte. Be a little more tolerant of human error. You know a lot of 63-year old women who didn't grow up with computers and who build their own? I never touched a PC till 1996. I learned by the seat of my pants, with 13 years at my users group taking dozens of workshops, poring through magazines, surfing help sites, asking techies, going to forums like this.
    Last edited by sneakers; May 8th, 2009 at 03:33 PM.

Yes, you can stop memtest. I already said that 11 hours is plenty.

You're the one that kept avoiding my questions. I can only do so much in this format. If you don't answer my questions, it's very difficult to help you.

I'm going to chalk your outburst up to frustration. I'll let other people jump in to help you.

It's not frustration; I am not avoiding your questions. I'm a very slow typist, so our posts overlap, and I had said that. I can't be brilliant and a good typist; there are just so many talents to go around. At the same time I was looking for UBCD5 beta, and I've been sent through an endless loop of sites and back again.

No wonder why they put you in the Arkham Asylum.

I suppose I can accept the slow typing/overlap defense. Still, I think the personal attacks were unnecessary.

Click this link for the direct UBCD5 download:
    http://linuxfreedom.com/ubcd/ubcd50b12.iso

If you need help burning isos to disc: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

Yeah, I must be crazy for getting into this profession, but it pays for my apartment (not a pigsty BTW).

You're the one who wrote Arkham Asylum in your sig. And I haven't gone to work yet today, and it's 4 PM. And yes, I never learned to touchtype, although I have almost as many degrees as you.

Looks like you scared the other members away. Do you always time the members with a stopwatch?

Is there a testing program less complex than this? I saw UBCD demonstrated in my users group, and I can't handle it. And no, I don't know DOS either except for ipconfig in the cmd screen.

I've already D/L a copy of Mersenne p95v259.zip. Can I unzip that to a floppy and run it? I couldn't be too ignorant. I installed a floppy drive into my new comp for emergency boots.

Fan is Intel DC34052-001. I can refund that too if you feel it doesn't seat right. It's flat now.

After 12 hours:
    CPU temp 134 degrees
    System temp 113
    Fan 2836 RPM

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    Looks like you scared the other members away.
    No, I'm here.

Stick with it, Sneakers. I think that Midknyte is on the right track.

Thread Information