building a completely _silent_ computer
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: building a completely _silent_ computer

Lightbulb building a completely _silent_ computer

Hi,

I'm interested in building a completely silent computer, that is one that doesn't have any fans at all, and if it has a pump, hopefully it's a very quiet one.

I've found fanless power supplies, of course. Those are good. I've also seen the articles on submerging your computer in mineral oil. That would work well, but I don't want to deal with the mess if I need to add/replace something. I also saw the Zalman TNN 500AF case. This thing is awesome and like exactly what I want, but very expensive. I also would like something that can support 2 cpus. The TNN case cannot, as far as I know.

On thing I'm considering is the Zalman reservator 2. However, I'm a little bit worried about trying to cool 2 cpus with this thing. (It doesn't have a lot of power.) Any ideas? (I'm also not terribly fond of how it looks.)

Basically, I'm interested in other, large radiators designed for cooling without fans (so I could set up a water cooling system), and I'm also interested in other cool passive solutions like the Zalman TNN case and any other cpu blocks or heat sinks that can be made to work well without fans.

(I'm looking to build a system with new i7 processors and new nvidia gaming cards etc.)

Thanks a lot.

You should check out the articles at Silent PC Review for some great info on silent hardware.
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

You should check out the articles at Silent PC Review for some great info on silent hardware.
    Thanks. I'll keep reading through this. Unfortunately, it can be a bit to wade through since the vast majority of what they review still has a lot of fans. (They're just more descriptive about how loud the fans are.)

I'm kind of interested in the innovaKonvekt-O-Matic Ultra (or MAXI) passive radiator. Does anyone know anything about these? And, does anyone know how you could get one in the US? Thanks.

You really need to do some reading at SPCR. The people there are obsessive about silence. You've decided that silence means no fans. You're wrong. For most people at SPCR it means fans you can't hear. And that difference marks the divide between the extremely difficult and the easily achievable. SPCR has already been through all this fanless vs. silent fan debate and you can benefit from their considerable experience.

As I type this there is a silent computer sitting two feet away. It has two fans running, albeit slowly, but inaudibly.

Yeah, with an i7 and gamer video card you're excluding passive cooling right from the start

If you're serious about building a silent system, I agree with DanceMan that SPCR is a mandatory read, including the forums. My PC is not silent but totally quiet enough for my tastes, and that's only with the minimal effort of choosing a few parts from their recommended list when I did upgrades. I can't praise enough that place.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

I have seen a PC case on the computer show using car coolant as heat absorber and the cooling pipe go through all critical parts of the PC including the CPU heatsinks, VGA, HDD...etc.

Did not see any fan insides the PC, maybe the external radiator got a quiet fan outside the case though.

Hope this helps!
    Bill

I've also seen units that are liquid cooled in the same manner and the fluid was run through the wall to a freezer that was outside of the house. That'd be just about as cool and quiet as you could get.
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

The green coolant in the clear pipe with a transparent case make the whole PC looks just great! You may also add some color light/LED in the case as well.

Cheers!
    Bill

Thread Information