Video card question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Video card question

Video card question

I have a older pc that I built back in 2001. 512 sdram,chaintech motherboard,1.3 ghz cpu.
    I upgraded the video card in 2005 to a xfx geforce 5500 (256Mb) AGP. Its on its last leg. I cant afford to do a whole system upgrade as of right now. I dont see being able to do it in the next 6 months or so either especially the way the job market and economy is nowadays.

I wanted to stick to a cheap card for right now and I wanted to at least try for a 512mb video card with DVI,and S-video.

Im looking at two agp graphic cards which are in the price range of $30-60 dollars.
    I was looking at the EVGA 512-A8-N403-LR GeForce 6200 LE 512MB DDR2 AGP Graphics Card
    http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-512-A8-N4.../dp/B001QMM6NU
    I read some reviews that people are saying to stay far away from any 6200 card.

I was also looking at the 256 version which this card has gotten some decent reviews compared to the 512mb version. But I wanted to get a 512mb card.http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-256-A8-N3...GCJ41005K2BM3C

My search brought me to this one
    Powercolor ATI Radeon X1650 PRO 512MB AGP Graphics Card
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q77V22

Has anyone had one of these cards and how are the drivers for them? I see the last update for the powercolor card was in 2007 which is a long time ago.

Does anyone know of any other 512 mb video card with dvi and s-video tv output there is on the market that is a reputable one in this price range?

I dont want to spend much on one as I cant afford it right now and would rather just limp along with a cheap upgrade for the time being.

I do game so that is why I was looking for a higher onboard memory. I know its not going to make a huge difference but it would be a small upgrade instead of getting the same card.

I planned on ordering from newegg as they have been a great company to deal with and the prices are cheaper than amazon.

The X1650 is definitely a better card. Go to the ATI site for drivers, not Powercolor.

I read some people had some trouble on getting ati's drivers to work with the x1650pro card though. http://www.driverheaven.net/ati-grap...o-drivers.html

I was also looking at the VisionTek ATI x1300 for $50 at a local store. Its only a 256mb agp card.

That thread is over 2 years old.

The x1300 would still be better than a 6200LE

I do not game, with that said,
    Two years? and counting,
    No issues encountered as of yet with a Sapphire x1650 Pro video card
    paired with a Thermalright HR-03 Rev.A heatsink.
    Using old drivers downloaded from ATi.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Yes I did take note to how old the thread was and right after I noticed that I searched powercolor's website for the drivers and when the last time they put a new driver out. I understand you can use the regular drivers from ATI's website but I was just wondering if ati fixed the problem or not with powercolors card.
    Which card would be better the VisionTek ATI x1300 or the Powercolor X1650pro?

X1650 for sure. They are two completely different classes of card.

Thread Information