MPT boot ROM Device?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: MPT boot ROM Device?

MPT boot ROM Device?

I installed a HighPoint PCIe card and connected two HDDs to it. When I boot I get this error message (on the black screen):

Alert: MPT boot ROM, No support devices found.

Otherwise everything works fine.

What the heck is MPT?

Thanks.
    AlexBB

DELL G-280 3.8GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 120GB HDD.
    DELL T7400 3.0GHz Quad CPU, 4GB RAM, 300GB 15K SATA HDD, Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda SATA HDD SATA optical drive
    DELL R5400 Two 3.0GHz Quad CPUs. 4GB RAM, 300GB WD Velociraptor SATA HDD, Seagate1.5TB Barracuda SATA HDD, Optical Drive.

I goggled ->MPT boot ROM

If the controller can't find a HDD, CD/DVD or other storage device capable of serving as a boot device it throws up that message.

Make sure the new card isn't listed as the first boot device in the bios boot up sequence.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

Thank you for the answer.

It is not listed, I am sure. I had to go to the boot manu many times recently on a number of occasions. I still don't understand why the controller needs a boot device of its own. I am now installing a driver for another PCIe card on my second machine, this time it is of SiliconImage. I will see what this baby will reqire for the boot

Thanks.
    AlexBB

DELL T7400 3.0GHz Quad CPU, 4GB RAM, 300GB 15K SATA HDD, Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda SATA HDD SATA optical drive
    DELL R5400 Two 3.0GHz Quad CPUs. 4GB RAM, 300GB WD Velociraptor SATA HDD, Seagate1.5TB Barracuda SATA HDD, Optical Drive.

I still don't understand why the controller needs a boot device of its own.
    Being able to boot off a drive connected to the device comes to mind
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

If you were able to disable the boot from that hardware in the bios I suspect the message would not appear. As it is part of the function of the card, I do not think it would be an issue other that waiting a little longer to get into windows.

I suspect you guys are correct. What I did was: I enabled SAS controller in the BIOS for the PCIe card but I also disabled RAID. In other words there are no RAID drivers. I am heading there and the first thing I am going to do it to disable SAS and see how it affects the error message.

My knowledge of hardware is not that great, although I am learning

Thanks.
    AlexBB

Thread Information