2.5" Hard Disk Enclosure - Driver Problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5" Hard Disk Enclosure - Driver Problem

2.5" Hard Disk Enclosure - Driver Problem

I purchased the above from Amazon UK see link below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MY-Link-EXTE...9814313&sr=8-1

The driver CD did not auto run after I inserted it in my CD drive. The CD contains a number of folders which I can not identify with the enclosure. In fact the enclosure does not have a manufacturers name on it or the box it came in. I have however been able to establish it is made by Initio but their site does not help at all.

The folders are:

9in_card reader
    68300_AT2
    ALI
    AU6390
    CS8818 Windows 98 Driver
    GL811
    JM20336-9
    Nec720130
    PL2506
    PL3507vt6204

Files:
    _desktop.ini
    Thumbs.db

Can anyone help please? I presume once I find the right folder it's just case of running the exe file?
    Last edited by goodtyneguy; April 15th, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
    | NOTEBOOK: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D8820 | Intel P4 2.8GHz | 512MB DDR SDRAM | ATI Radeon 900 Mobility 64MB external DDR SDRA | Fujitsu MHS2060AT 60GB |

| XP Home SP3 | Avast4.8 Free | Malawarebytes | Spybot S&D | Windows Defender| A Squared Free | Sunbelt Free Firewall |

You normally don't need drivers unless you are using Win98SE. If you are running XP SP3 like your sig says, then check device manager and disk management.

ah haaa, found where I need to be - control panel\administrative tools\computer management\disk management

Thanks Midknyte, I've initialised it (there's a new hard drive in there)but it does n't appear in the directory tree in explorer?

I guess I need to use the help files as this is new to me.
    | NOTEBOOK: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D8820 | Intel P4 2.8GHz | 512MB DDR SDRAM | ATI Radeon 900 Mobility 64MB external DDR SDRA | Fujitsu MHS2060AT 60GB |

| XP Home SP3 | Avast4.8 Free | Malawarebytes | Spybot S&D | Windows Defender| A Squared Free | Sunbelt Free Firewall |

You need to partition and format the drive. Make sure to use BASIC disk, not dynamic.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You need to partition and format the drive. Make sure to use BASIC disk, not dynamic.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
    Superb indeed.

My hard disk (C drive) is on it's way out as confirmed by the manufacturers HD diagnostic test. I intend to image it using paragon to the new drive and then replace the old drive with the new drive from the enclosure. Will this work?

If the old drive is going bad, I wouldn't waste time trying to image it. I'd do a clean install of Windows and just transfer data. GIGO = garbage in, garbage out. If there is corrupted data on the old drive, you'll just be transferring problems to the new drive.

When doing checkdisk it rarely shows any corrections and my laptop is working OK except it's slow. A know the drive is only working at about one third of the speed it should be doing. What you're saying makes good sense though.

I did n't get the XP cd when I bought the laptop only the recovery disks and that was about 5 years ago so will have to start with XP and build through the service packs. Then re-install all my favourite proggies, nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by goodtyneguy View Post
    ... so will have to start with XP and build through the service packs. Then re-install all my favourite proggies, nightmare!
    ?
    Use recovery disc set, remove bloatware (junk/trial/unnecessary software preinstalled with recovery disc set), install service pack 3, install hotfixes, install your programs, test for a few days, then create a image.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    ?
    Use recovery disc set, remove bloatware (junk/trial/unnecessary software preinstalled with recovery disc set), install service pack 3, install hotfixes, install your programs, test for a few days, then create a image.
    As you may have gathered I'm not very tech savvy. I do find this stuff interesting and want to learn as much as possible to take care of my computer myself rather than have to pay a third party.

To assist me in carrying out your recomendation could you kindly answer my questions below:

Firstly I need to format and partition my new hard drive in the enclosure:

1) Would it be best to assign this drive as "C" in the process and

2) I was thinking of creating two partitions, a large one for the software/applications and operating system and a smaller one for data storage, is this a good idea? Any other tips welcomed.

3) I take it that before I remove the old HD I need to ensure that the bios is set to boot from my CD drive first. Then it's just a case of physically installing the formatted and partitioned new HD and inserting the CD recovery disk in the CD drive and following the instructions?

4) I'm wondering how I get it to write to the right partition?

Thanks for the help.

1) No. Your system drive should be C:, not the external. In fact, you shouldn't be using the external enclosure at all. Put the new unformatted drive into the system first, then do the windows install. Don't try to install windows on an external drive. You will create the system partition and format it during the setup. You create the data partition after you boot into Windows.

2) Yes. 2 partitions would be a good idea.

3) Install the new drive "blank". You don't need to pre-partition or format.

4) If you have a recovery disc, it will automatically set everything up. Only have the new drive connected; disconnect the old bad drive while you are installing Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    1) No. Your system drive should be C:, not the external. In fact, you shouldn't be using the external enclosure at all. Put the new unformatted drive into the system first, then do the windows install. Don't try to install windows on an external drive. You will create the system partition and format it during the setup. You create the data partition after you boot into Windows.

2) Yes. 2 partitions would be a good idea.

3) Install the new drive "blank". You don't need to pre-partition or format.

4) If you have a recovery disc, it will automatically set everything up. Only have the new drive connected; disconnect the old bad drive while you are installing Windows.
    Great help.

I'll remove the old bad HD and replace it with the new one and carry out the proceedure as you describe.

Thanks again :-)

I may have missed it, but I do not see that you ever say whether you are working on a laptop or not. I have assumed that you are, because you are talking about a 2.5" drive. However, a 2.5" drive in an enclosure does not necessarily equate to your working on a laptop.

However, assuming that you are, when you take out the old hard drive, be on the lookout for a possible adapter that connects to the pins at the business end of the one that you take out. You will need to remove the adapter from the old drive and put it on the new one in order for the new one to go back in correctly. Just a heads up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763 View Post
    I may have missed it, but I do not see that you ever say whether you are working on a laptop or not. I have assumed that you are, because you are talking about a 2.5" drive. However, a 2.5" drive in an enclosure does not necessarily equate to your working on a laptop.

However, assuming that you are, when you take out the old hard drive, be on the lookout for a possible adapter that connects to the pins at the business end of the one that you take out. You will need to remove the adapter from the old drive and put it on the new one in order for the new one to go back in correctly. Just a heads up on that.
    Thanks jimbo1763, you are correct sir, it is a laptop and I will be mindful of your comment (Hat tip to you)

In principle it is feasible to install an operating sysem on an external hard drive but not the one your purchased because it is USB connected. If it were an enclosure that plugs into a PCIe card that you have to install on your machine (provided it is PCIe enabled) then you could do it. Those connectors are very fast and potentially can handle multiboot meaning that a second or third OS could be installed in enclosures.
    AlexBB

DELL G-280 3.8GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 120GB HDD.
    DELL T7400 3.0GHz Quad CPU, 4GB RAM, 300GB 15K SATA HDD, Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda SATA HDD SATA optical drive
    DELL R5400 Two 3.0GHz Quad CPUs. 4GB RAM, 300GB WD Velociraptor SATA HDD, Seagate1.5TB Barracuda SATA HDD, Optical Drive.

Thank you AlexBB that an interesting comment. I had intended to install the new HDD in my laptop but after having done numerous tests using the various freeware apps that are available there is no indication that my drive is faulty. A little slow yes.

Recent problems I've had is for example when I go to close down the USB memory stick I get a message telling me I need to close the applications that are on that stick before I can do so. There is no open applications on the task bar and task manager has nothing listed. I get the same message when I open firefox and it tells me firefox is aleady running but nothing on the task bar or in task manager.

Another thing is when I close the only window that is open it curtains down slowly like water draining out of a bath to reveal the desktop behind. Tests on the memory and the Graphics card say it's OK, very puzzeling?

Thread Information