AMD system with Voodoo 3 3000
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD system with Voodoo 3 3000

AMD system with Voodoo 3 3000

I have an AMD 350 K6-2 with 64 megs of Ram and a Voodoo 3 3000 video card. I have noticed that I don't get high frame rates using Quake II test. My average frame rate is around 55 fps, while some friends of mine have on average anywhere from 75 to over 100. Would this be because the AMD processor doesn't have as good of a floating point unit as the PII's and PIII's. Please respond if you know the problem or a solution. THANKS!

yes that is part of the problem, but do you have the 3dnow patch for quake2 enabled? If you don't the thing you need to do is this: Install the minigl that came with your card off the cd, next rename this file, in your quake2 directory mind you, which is called 3dfxgl.dll to opengl32.dll, then install the 3dnow patch for quake2 and pick 3dnow opengl from the video option in quake2. This should bump you up about 10-15 fps. Another thing to get is the 3fingers quake2 cfg file from voodooextreme, they are an affiliate on the right side, he has a whole bunch of tweaks, this will bump you up about another 10 fps. Also another thing you can do is overclock your processor, it could probably go to 400 without a problem. any questions email me, I have a amd 380 and a voodoo3 2000 so I could probably help you further

------------------
    Chaz (Vidfreek)
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

First off, Thanks for the reply. Secondly, No, I dont have the 3dnow patch enabled because I could only find the patch for Quake version 3.19, and not the 3.20 version that I run. Anyway, I'll try your ideas out.

how do u do the Quake II test to find our your frame rate?

thanks

Hello Vidfreek, i have v3 3000 with my p2 350 64 rams. demo1 800x600=84.1 fps is that good enough?? I was thinking that it is good enough. So if you think it good or need more let me know .
    Also i wonder if i put more ram as upgrade to 128 or 196 wil it affect to fps increase??
    thank

To do the quake II test i did the following

Go to the console screen " ~ "

Type in Timedemo1

next type map demo1.dm2

A map should load and proceed to run through a demo of the game. At the end you should you relitive time, frames, and frames per second. Hope it helps you out!

RWC,

Just for you information, I know two people with PII systems and V3 3000 cards. The first has a PII 400 w/ 128 megs of ram, he says he gets around 90 to 100 fps. The other is a PII 450 w/128 megs of ram, and I have personally seen him get 107 fps on more than one ocassion. Both of these tests were at 800 x 600.

Yea thats pretty good, but just like the reply before this one you can get more fps if you add another 64 megs of ram. 128 really makes a difference, I was outperforming my friends overclocked celery at 464 with my amd k6-2 at 333 cause I had 128 megs of ram, it helps believe me, and mr. grim if you havent found the patch yet, you can get at amd.com they have it up there.
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

rwc, with the pII 350 and v3 3000, you're getting pretty good frame rates. you may want to go to tweak3d.com to get some tweaks, such as being able to turn v sync off, and shutting off some effects such as rail trails and the like. i have a 300a celeron o/c to 472 (105 fsb), and i just ran time demo to see what i got with my TNT. with the TNT o/c to 115 memory, 105 core, i got 69.something, almost 70fps. your scores are good, but the could be better with o/c or a few tweaks. however, you state that you are happy with them, as you should be, and that's all that is really necessary. as far as the ram, that won't raise your fps, but you will see your system running a heck of a lot faster, and if your v3 was able to use main ram, then you might see an increase. however, the v3 is basically a stand alone card, so your card is not dependent on your ram really at all, but more on cpu speed. i believe that vidfreek will agree with me on this one, and enjoy your v3 ;-j
    why can i never think of anything witty to put in these?

Vid,

Yes I do have the patch, my only problem is that it was for version 3.19 instead of the 3.20 that I need to use. I installed it anyway, and the 3D-NOW video modes do not work. If there is something more to than just installing the files, Please let me know. THANKS!

oops

[This message has been edited by lavajumper (edited 05-25-99).]
    why can i never think of anything witty to put in these?

Mr Grim,
    You can find a Q2 3.20 3Dnow! patch at www.3dnow.net/files.
    I hope it works for you.

Sem

Thank Vidfreek and Lavajumper for advice.
    I apprecation it.
    I will need upgrade 64 more ram to be 128 cuz for better spreadsheet on 98 win that i have more programs.I will lwt you know if it affect fps ,if little affect so then cpu might help.
    My motherboard is gigabyte 6bxe that it is great mb that why it is best hardware as you can see at www.giga-byte.com.
    Lavajumper seem make sense that cpu should affect fps not depend on ram.But i need more rams for better on 98win.

Thanks for the reply, The 3dnow site was a big help.

What kind of benchmarks are you getting now mr.grim?
    I have a k6-2 350 and voodoo 3 2000 agp and i get 50fps in 1024*768!
    This seems kind of low can anyone give me any tips on how to speed it up?
    It stays around the same fps in 800*600.It doesn't change much not matter what i do:
    vsync on
    16bit colour instead of '22' bit
    Lower the res.
    I don't think it is the cpu because i see other people in the 70's + 80's.
    Any help is appreciated.
    United for the treble!!!!!

Thread Information