2/3 black LCD screen
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 2/3 black LCD screen

Hybrid View

Question 2/3 black LCD screen

I'm looking at a Dell Inspiron 1501 for a friend. 2/3rds of the right hand side of the LCD has gone black. It's not a driver issue or anything related to that because that portion of the screen is still missing during boot up/POST.

I've taken apart the laptop and checked all the connections, which are good. I've noticed when I switch the output between a monitor and the actually LCD, eventually a few vertical lines will show up on the non-working portion of the screen. Sometimes the lines are different colors and sometimes they're just white, but regardless of the color, they're bright and not dim.

I thought this problem could be related to the power inverter but it sounds to me like a faint image would still be visible, it's definitely black. Any ideas as to what the exact problem may be? I'm thinking the whole LCD needs to be replaced and I doubt it's a back light issue since there's bright vertical lines that appear when I toggle the output. Thank you for your help and input!

Chris
    "The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from."
    -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

an inverter problem would usually make the entire screen dark, not just part of it. Pretty sure that it's a bad LCD.

Thanks Midknyte, I tend to agree. Anyone else have any opinions before I order a new LCD?
    -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Hi,

Does the display look OK when you use an external monitor?

If it does then it is almost certainly a dead LCD. If it doesn't then I would suspect the graphics chipset.

If it is the graphics chipset then it's difficult to suggest your best move as it is integrated on the MoBo, and there is no slot for a dedicated graphics card.

Yes, the display looks fine on an external monitor. Thanks for the input.
    -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Thread Information