Question about dual link DVI
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Question about dual link DVI

Question about dual link DVI

I'm getting ready to buy a larger monitor, either a 27" or 30".

I've read that the most of the 30" monitors don't have scalers, and if you want to be able to use the full 2560 x 1600 resolution you'll need to use Dual link DVI.

So let's say I bought a card with 2 DVI-I outputs. Does that mean I would have to use both of the outputs, and have them going into the DVI input of the monitor? Does this require a "yoke" style cable, that combines the 2 DVI outs to the single DVI in?

Thanks!

Nope, you don't use both outputs to the monitor. Dual-link DVI is a standard single DVI connector with 6 more pins in the center, like in the picture here. What you need to verify is that your video card supports dual-link DVI (If I remember correctly, most recent cards do) and that the DVI cable you use is dual-link (a non-issue if one comes with the monitor).

Core i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell U2415

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Quote Originally Posted by equinoxe3d View Post
    Nope, you don't use both outputs to the monitor. Dual-link DVI is a standard single DVI connector with 6 more pins in the center, like in the picture here. What you need to verify is that your video card supports dual-link DVI (If I remember correctly, most recent cards do) and that the DVI cable you use is dual-link (a non-issue if one comes with the monitor).
    Thanks equinoxe3d, so then does that mean a card that has 2 dvi outs could still be used for dual monitors? One going to the dual-link in on the large monitor, and the second going to a smaller standard monitor?

My current card is an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS, I'll have to find out if that is dual-link, but I don't think it is.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

you can use the ports for dual monitors. dual link doesn't mean the amount of ports.

Thread Information