New compact camera
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: New compact camera

New compact camera

Specs and details here. Received as a gift.

Pics originally taken at 2560X1920 and reduced in size. Except for pic no.1 the rest are taken without flash. Pic no.2 has been edited for color balance.

Using Flash 1/40 sec ISO 100

Without Flash 1/3.2 sec ISO 400

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Your gift giver makes wise choices. Thanks for the link. I've read high praise in reviews for the Panasonics. The extra wide angle in the lens zoom is not to be underestimated. It can make a great difference in pictures of people.

Lovely kitten. Life looks good in Rattland.

Excellent macro function. I have an older Panasonic point n shoot DMC-LX1. I have had some success with sports shots but limited success in low light or close ups. Nice camera.

I see no fault with your photos. Great job mister.

Thanks for the nice comments.

The FS15 is my first digital camera. It does take good portraits and I love the wide angle lens and the perspective distortion indoors. Best for macro, portraits and wide angle shots.

The term point and shoot is a bit misleading though IMHO since there's a lot of scene modes and settings. It's important to understand the functions to take the best pics.

An Olympus Trip 35 would be my example of a real point and shoot camera. Too bad they don't make this type of cameras anymore except for plastic cameras like Holgas and Dianas.

The IA mode is good for everything except for low light conditions. For that I choose Night Scenery (mini tripod highly recommended) and it will automatically choose a shutter speed up to 8s. Prefer not to use flash in my photos. One has to play, experiment, shoot photos to get good results. I had to go through an easy learning curve before I'm satisfied with the pics taken although I must admit that there are some challenging moments due to my lack of photographic skills and experience. Frankly, I don't know how to use nor have I tried Photoshop.

Leoslocks,
    Reading the reviews of the DMC-LX1 and judging from the pics on the net I would say it is a good camera with a higher learning curve than mine and not a big difference compared to the latest LX3.

Night Scene mode. Shutter speed: 4s ISO: 80 Cropped from original image 1920 x 2560 with some details blurred out.

IA Scene Mode. Shutter speed: 1/320s ISO: 80 Cropped from original image 2560 x 1920 with color balance adjustment.
    Took me a while to get an interesting shot. There were several zooming past individually but they were too fast for me. Next time I'll try a 12-gauge instead.

I'll post a final pic later. Hopefully something like what Bruce Dale achieved with the LX3 in the special gallery.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"

I really like that night shot. It's somewhat reminiscent of HL2
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

I've never played HL2 before.

The purpose of a wide angle lens is to bring the viewer close to the photo into the situation as if the viewer is actually there experiencing it.

I'll take that as a nice compliment. Thanks. Mission accomplished.

Looks like a really nice camera.

Nice pictures.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    Looks like a really nice camera.

Nice pictures.
    Thanks. Good compact but not as nice as a DSLR. LOL.

Shot in Normal Mode using zoom 80mm (35mm equivalent). Shutter speed:1/160s ISO:160 Color: Vivid
    Original Image: 4000X3000 pixels Cropped, Color Balance Adjusted and Resized.

Good capture.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

You have some serious skills there mister.

Nice shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    Good capture.
    Thanks. There's a slight loss of image quality during resizing but still some room for improvement. Still need to get familiar with the exposure control and AF on this camera. AF is not fool proof and all AF cameras exhibit this problem resulting in varying degrees of sharpness in different conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Leoslocks View Post
    You have some serious skills there mister.

Nice shot.
    Well, still a beginner here and I don't really see it that way. LOL.
    I'll open up my gallery when its done.

Normal Mode Shutter Speed: 1/200 ISO100 Noise Filtered, Cropped & Color Balance Adjusted

Well, I haven't touched the camera for months and the images here are all taken in April. Been busy and too depressed to take pics. Lawyers are expensive and I will do my own defense for my trial in court coming in November. It is going to be interesting and as they say:

Failure is the secret to success.

I could have easily paid the fine and get on with my life. However, I'll regret for the rest of my life not standing up and fight for my rights because it was the other party's fault.

Anyway, here are the images unedited and uploaded to imageshack.

Normal Mode Shutter Speed: 1/640s ISO80 EV -1

Normal Mode Shutter Speed: 1/320s ISO80 EV -0.66

Normal Mode Shutter Speed: 1/60s ISO100 EV -0.66

Normal Mode Shutter Speed: 1/640s ISO80 EV -0.66

The intelligence and attention to detail that shows in your photos and your answers in posts should stand you in good stead. Good luck.

Thread Information