[RESOLVED] Dell dimension 5000
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Dell dimension 5000

Hybrid View

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Dell dimension 5000

Hi all i recently bought a second hand dell dimension 5000 from a shop and when i got it home i noticed that when i start doing anything on it it starts to get really dam noisey and on the odd occasion when i have been using it for a while i have to reboot my pc to get the noise to stop. It sounds like its about to take off and getting on my nerves now.

I have taken the side off and cleaned the power fan and as much as i can get to but that has not made any difference.

Can anyone help me please??

I have taken the side off and cleaned the power fan and as much as i can get to but that has not made any difference.
    What do you mean by power fan? The CPU heatsink is what you should be cleaning.

If comfortable with the process,
    Open up the computer case and run the system for a while,
    Trace the source of the fan noise.
    As Midknyte already pointed out,
    Usually it would be the processor's heatsink fan spinning faster due to heat.

And where applicable,
    It could also be the video card's fan.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    What do you mean by power fan? The CPU heatsink is what you should be cleaning.
    Yes i meant the CPU fan. What i have done is while it is under warranty (only 28 days worth) i put it back into the shop and complained about it. So what they have done is removed one of the fans or vent things at the bottom front and when i got it home it would not start up GRRR so back in it went so they formatted my system. (How annoying when it was not needed)

Noise is still present and its rather dusty inside. But What i may do is tell them that i will put it into a Computer shop and they can pay for it. But before i do that i'll consult consumer affairs about doing so see where i stand with doing so.

I am not comfortable with removing things from inside my computer (only cleaning the cpu) But i know a mate who is as he works with Comps may ask him.

I may tell them that it could be the heatsink that needs to be sorted out. But i am 85% certain that the shop i bought this from Do not have a clue what they are doing.

An easy way to track down the noise source, if your ear can't tell you, is to take a big eraser and stick it in the fan blades to stop the fan. When the noise stops, you've found it. You should have about two fans, one for the cpu, one in the psu (power supply).

Thread Information