[RESOLVED] Enclosure for WD VelocyRaptor
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Enclosure for WD VelocyRaptor

Hybrid View

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Enclosure for WD VelocyRaptor

I think this is how they are called: VelocyRaptor. I purchased a 10,000 Rpm 300 Gbt HDD from WD and the next thing I wanted was to clone my old C: drive to it. I needed an enclosure. First I purchased one on Ebay. That did not connect when I put in my old SATA, then I got one at BestBuy. Made by Antec, I believe. Good enclosure. Worked instantly with my old SATA. Then I tried to put in the Raptor and found to my disgust that it did not fit. It is a totally different hardware config. The HDD is tiny but there is a huge heat sink wrapped around it. There is no way I can connect it to the plugs in the enclosure. I went to BestBuy, discussed with them, they said they could not help and suggested a specialized USB with e-connector or something. A part came with the enclosure resembling that that has a brace but it seems to be firewire extension.

What is the solution to this? I need an adapter.

Thanks.
    Last edited by alexBB; December 20th, 2008 at 10:29 PM.

The velociraptor is more like a SAS drive and they don't make enclosures for that.

It doesn't make sense to use a Velociraptor in an enclosure anyway. You'd want it to be your main boot drive. If you want to clone your C: drive, connect the raptor drive internally. Then use something like Acronis TrueImage to copy your old drive info to the raptor.

Midknyte, thank you. It does not get me anywhere. I hate to say that but all you've said is familiar to me. Of ccourse I have no intention to use this drive in an enclosure. I want to connect it to my machine temporarily as a third drive as if it were in an enclosure and copy C: by running my own C# clone application on the second HDD which is a WinSer2008. I don't like Acronis or any third party software. I don't trust them. I am a competent code writer and my routine works. i have debugged it.

No Acronis for me. Of course I can run my code on C: and do the same. It is Vista, however and I am not sure it will allow me to roam thru entire C: Drive. So far I tried about 1 Meg and it worked, still I would like to explore the idea of filling the raptor thru an external USB connection. This way I won't have to mess with the boot sector. It will take another hour or two of my time because it has to be done very carefully despite the fact that it is a simple operation, I mean changing the boot records.

How can I do it? How can I connect the Raptor via USB to my machine?

Thanks.

Aha. I remember you now.

You'll never find an enclosure for that drive. At the very least, you'd have to remove it from the housing, which voids the warranty. Even then, it wouldn't fit into 2.5" enclosures, since it's 2x as thick as laptop drives. The closest thing you'll find is a Brando type device. Newegg has them.
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...ender-Changers

Thank you Midknyte. Did you mean this:
    Nippon Labs USB-SATA USB to IDE/SATA Adapter w/ power - Retail ?

There is a feedback there saying that the Power Supply keeps melting away. Is it significant?
    Last edited by alexBB; December 21st, 2008 at 01:42 PM.

I don't know about that brand, but that's the idea. I'd go with a bigger name like Vantec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812232002

Thank you Midknyte. I just ordered it.

Bummer! Tried to install the driver and got a message: This driver is good for Windows 98 only! Who in the world has Windows 98 now? This is a scam. They are selling a product that is outdated and don't even mention it.

What shall I do?

I am surprised that it needs drivers-would have thought that XP would be enough for the USB aspect of things (which might not have been the case for Win98-USB didn't come in for the operating systems until later).

Have you tried to connect without any drivers or the like?

I was surprised myself. Remember, I am trying to use my WD VelociRaptor as an external HDD with this Vantec USB to SATA broker just to format it and clone another C: drive to it. The broker does have a small chip in the middle of the cable. When I first tried to plug it in my Vista Ultimate (I don't even remember how XP looks now) responded with a usual message in the right lower corner that a new USB device had been installed and I can use it. It also gave me an option to click on that square box and learn more detail. The details were simple: the brand name of the WD drive had been displayed, that's it. The problem is that I don't see the driver in the WIndows Explorer as a letter. Then I recalled that a tiny DVD or CD came with it and I put it into the drive days ago. At that time I tried to open the user manual but it failed. I decided to wait with the driver. This morning I tried to install the driver in got a message that it is for Windows 98 only.

I may run WMI classes to find out if the driver is registered with the system but this morning I did not have time to do so. That system is home and I am at my ofice.

Bummer! Tried to install the driver and got a message: This driver is good for Windows 98 only! Who in the world has Windows 98 now? This is a scam. They are selling a product that is outdated and don't even mention it.
    You don't need drivers for 2k or XP or Vista, but win98se does. The win98 is just provided as a courtesy. That is the case for many USB flash drives and external hard drives.

Although I did not go to the Disk Management
    That is your problem right there. As Jimbo stated, you won't see a drive letter until you prepare the drive in disk management. It would be the same thing if you installed a new internal hard drive.

Midknyte, thank you. I got it. It is there.
    Last edited by alexBB; December 31st, 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Ok, one step forward but still there is a problem. I opened the Disk Manager, connected the USB, and got a message that this disk is not initialized and if I want to initialize it to boot. There was another option, three letters, something like GSP or something but the message said that was for disks over 2TBs only. So, I chose boot. Then my device did appear in the Disk Management as a thumbnail with no name. It says: layout Simple, Type: Basic, File System - this slot is empty, Status: healthy (EISA Configuration).

I cannot figure out how to format it. There is no option. I right click on everything, left click to no avail.

Still I don't see it in Windows Explorer, naturally.

I am sure you know the secret.

Thanks.

OK, I think I found it. I don;t know what happened but now I can see 279.46GB unallocated Basic. That must be it, right? Still I don't see how I put NTFS on to it but there are some more options.

It is coming along. 13% formatting is done by now. Thanks. The issue is closed. Till next trouble.

Thread Information