TNT2 or Voodoo3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNT2 or Voodoo3

TNT2 or Voodoo3

Okay guys.. help me out here. Should I get Voodoo3 or TNT2? Can I get V3 3000 or just 2000 if I have only about $150 to spare. What is the difference between Riva TNT2 and Ultra TNT2? I heard they're different. Are they the same or not? I can't afford to make a mistake on this decision. Help me out please. Thanks

DEANRIL Guest
    ok v3 3000 about $175 at frys go to www.pricewatch.com for lowest online prices for all the cards you mentioned.I bought my v3 3k for 150 online.TNT2 or ultra :ultra 32megs of ram higher speeds 150/175 ,regular tnt2 16megs 125/150 usually.

Its gonna be your decision I would go into the voodoo3 vs tnt2 thread and start reading you may be able to make a decision that way.Me, Im biased, get a voodoo3 and never be sorry(you asked I replied).
    good luck...............

Thanks Deanril. Still trying to decide which is more worth it. Seems like most games have the option of enaling the 3dfx or the default accelerator on the graphic setup.

If you are on a budget and don't need/want the TV-Out feature, go with the V3 2000. You can get an o/c utility for the V3 2000 that is awesome at www.voodooextreme.com. You can match the speed of the 3000 and then some. I personally have the 3000 and o/c it to match the speed of the 3500 (183mhz). Buying the 2000 will save you a few bucks that you could use to get a fan for your new o/ced video card. Good luck and Voodoo all the way! (Sorry, I had to. Although, I was once a TNT2 fan. )
    No, really, it's just a chemical imbalance.

If you have a PII/III or Celeron it is a a tie. Both have their advantages. I like the Voodoo3 because it is fast and VERY easy to install. The TNT2 is supposed to have better image quality but I've seen the V3 2000 against the TNT(1) and the V3 won.

If you have a Super/Soket7 than your only real choice is a V3. The TNT2(or1) is a big head ache to install and run very slow. I have a K6-2 350 and it rocks with the V3 2000.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

You didn't state your PCU speed. But for all lower end CPU's i would recommend the V3 cards over the ttnt-2.
    Soyo sy6ba+iv Intel p3-700e@933 512meg-Cas2-2-2/
    ATI Radeon 64meg DDR-vivo-/Memorex 48x//
    Iomega 12x4x32x Burn Proof//

I have Celeron 333 oc to 375. I'm planning to do more but I need a better cooling for that. Right now I'm running it at 375 without any extra cooling. Just the Aavid single fan. I have 64 MB, planning to upgrade to 128MB and err.. that's about it I guess. Do you guys think TNT2 would perform well under my system? OR should I just get Voodoo3 which is independant of CPU.

The TnT(2) should run fine on your system. If you overclock you'r cpu even better. 3DFX cards use less resources and have no problems running the latest games.

i gave up with my celeron 333, i got rid of it and replaced it with a used p2/350 that i got cheap and it felt like it doubled in speed... i mean 3d was ok... but 2d was crap and slow and i think it was due to lack of cache. As for the graphics card, it says on the diamond website that the tnt2 should be used with p2/350 or higher so i would go for the v3.

------------------
    simonf@panormania.com
    www.panormania.com
    simonf@panormania.com
    www.panormania.com

"I know what your thinking.... should have took the blue pill"

Last week Creative Labs [0ne of maker TNT board]announced it has Glide emulator which suppose to eliminate 3dfx chip requirment for some games.If it's true TNT2 is the better bet because OpenGL and D3D becoming mainstream. I'm not TNT or Voodoo biased I own Fury128 and tll you what I found lately.

yeah i read that... thing is they stoped making glide only games a while ago anyway and the way directx7 is comming on i thing it will have a few surprises over glide
    simonf@panormania.com
    www.panormania.com

"I know what your thinking.... should have took the blue pill"

be careful if yoy go the tnt route - I have a PII266, which I figured would be fine for a TNT (not tnt2 since I don't have agp and all of a sudden I started getting freezups (no o/c anywhere) when using lots of video resources (>6 explorer windows open while browsing). Happened several times, even on a fresh install. Had to be the video card, at least that's what it appeared to be. Wen to back to the V3.

Side note: On looks alone, I liked the look of TNT over V3 slightly more, though they both are good. If anyone has suggestions about tweak utils for the v3 to improve that...

TIA
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

With your processor (Cel 375) I would most definately recommend a Voodoo3 2000. You will get MUCH better frame rates and be able to play at MUCH higher resolutions on this card vs. TNT2. The TNT2 is very processor dependent compared to the V3.

Get the V3, you won't be sorry. If you worry about the image quality, don't. The V3 has outstanding image quality reguardless of what you have read. Sure the 32bit of the TNT2 is better, but not at the expense of droping the resolution and frame rate to the point of making the motion choppy.

If you would have said you had a PII or PIII 450 or better, my post would have recommended the TNT2 due to the better feature support and image quality, but for your system, the V3 rocks!

------------------
    With greater knowledge comes greater understanding!
    With greater knowledge comes greater understanding!

Thread Information