starforce is banned
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: starforce is banned

starforce is banned

forever from my pc's. vista x64. installed a starforce game the other day, and of course anydvd put a thorn in its side. the os wouldnt even boot- system error just after bios. system repair wouldnt do it, couldnt even get into safemode.

luckily i still had my 32bit install on this machine. fired up that one, browsed to my 64bit windows folder, deleted 4 starforce files in the system32/drivers folder and bingo, all boots and works fine again.

what garbage drm. i mean truely, garbage.

I was completely unaware of this(not a big gamer),but after Googling ,I was surprised it could actually cause physical failure of your burner

This page has some good info.

I'm not sure if that's true about it causing physical damage to optical drives. There's a lot of stories peddled about Starforce, some true and some not.

I do agree it's a pain in the *** though, and the world would be a better place without it.

I would like to see a viable way of stopping PC games piracy though, as it'd be a sad day when the PC games market dies out due to poor sales. Pretty much every game seems to get pirated to death, even the really good ones which are worth paying for.

P.S. Danceman, I think the swear filter got your link
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

yeah dance you might need tinyurl that link

ive had starforce games installed before and had a few problems but it never killed my whole operating system. this was just outrageous- i couldnt stop thinking how this would have went if it was a customer's pc. i dont have a business but as you all know every pc you build for someone comes with a lifetime free matienance warranty so i can only imagine how fun it would have been to come out on my time and tell someone that their paid-for software made it impossible for them to use their computer for a day or two. think if it was a business and i had to charge them to tell them that... its just plain dumb.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy27 View Post

P.S. Danceman, I think the swear filter got your link
    Very curious. Here's the link again:

http://forums.*********.in/windows-v...mes/529347.htm

And where the asterisks appear, insert "tech arena" without the space or the quotes.
    I had no idea those words were so threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    I had no idea those words were so threatening.
    competing forum *wags finger

I can only guess that some combination of those 2 words when not spaced makes a bad word in some language that I don't know.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

it does tott, its very bad- http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/techar

Thread Information