Motherboard Worries
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Motherboard Worries

Motherboard Worries

Can someone please tell, flat out, what the best Intel Chipset to use with an Intel Pentium IV 3.2E? I'm am so confused after seeing all the different motherboards you can put this processor on.

I don't know whether to use DDR2 533 or DDR400. I've given up all my SCSI drives too. I am now moving to SATA.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I don't know your budget but I have an Asus P5AD2 Premium and I like-it a lot. But, if I was buying a new board now, i'd probably go for an Asus P5WD2 Premium equipped with an Intel 955x chipset and support for the new 2c processors.

Note that if you would like really new stuff, there is also the Asus P5ND2-SLI equipped with an nforce4 chipset. But, I would wait some time for that one and make sure that nvidia is providing really stable drivers for that chipset.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    I like the SLI mobo. That sounds sweet.

Here is my opinion outside glussiers but it follows a similarity for support for dual cores.

My opinion is either LGA i955 and if you cannot afford that then LGA 775 i875. My reason is because later I could through a dual core CPU into the i875. At least according to rumour. With latencies dropped PC4200 DDR2-533 seems about neck and neck with PC3200 DDR400 @ 222.

Nice thing about i875 is it is $100 cheaper than i955.

Apparently a few folks have got the new dual core CPU's working in LGA775 i865/875.

But you said in another post you didn't care about upgradability later on so i915 it would be which I thought you already have.

If you were going for max price at ultimate bang get a PCI-X X800-XL, i915, and some cheap DDR2.

I bought a X800-XL AGP version but it is about $30~50 more than the PCI-X version. AGP version clocks higher though without mods.

Holy (*&#$! The ASUS P5AD2-E Premium Motherboard
    is expensive but nice. I'll see if I can fit that into my budget and get it. It is really nice.

Thanks for the tip guys.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    I think I would look at the i855 since they are close to the same price as the P5AD2-E.

Tool box - did you ever the P5AD2-E Premium? If you did I'm looking for a copy of the set-up CD for an ASUS P5AD2-E Premium and the floppy disk (if there is one). I wil pay shipping plus $20.
    I know the ASUS site has the various files on the disk, but I want a copy of the real set-up CD. ThanksA in advance,
    Edit by admin: no contact info permitted on the forum, thank you

Hi John... I honestly can't remember if I ever got that motherboard but I can tell you right now that I no longer have any of the discs.

Since about September of 2007, I no longer buy computers.

Sorry to be of absolutely no help to you.

Thread Information