[RESOLVED] New EIDE drive install with Asus A7v133a board
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] New EIDE drive install with Asus A7v133a board

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] New EIDE drive install with Asus A7v133a board

I'm trying to install a new 160GB WD EIDE drive in a system with an Asus A7v133a motherboard. I want the new drive to be the master and I want to install WinXP on it, and use the old drive as the slave drive. At first I tried connecting it to the on board drive controller with the old drive as slave but that didn't work, (the CD drive disappeared), then switched the two drives with the same result.
    Then I plugged it into the Promise controller slot and everything showed up. I set the old drive as master and went into windows, (WinME), to load the drive setup software and format the new drive and it seems to have formated fine, though it would not let me choose NTFS file system, (I assume because I was using WinME.)
    My plan is to now set the new drive as master and the old drive as slave and then install WinXP to the new drive.
    Does this all seem correct? Will I be able to select NTFS during the XP installation? Do I want to? I still want to be able to access files from the old drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dood
    ... Will I be able to select NTFS during the XP installation? ...
    I still want to be able to access files from the old drive.
    Yes.
    WindowsXP is able to access FAT32.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

the old drive as slave but that didn't work, (the CD drive disappeared)
    Sounds like you didn't set the jumper settings properly.

If you want the new drive to be the master, just leave the old drive unplugged until you finish setting up the new drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    Sounds like you didn't set the jumper settings properly.
    Except that the CD showed up after I moved the hard drive cable from the Asus controller plug to the Promise controller plug, I didn't change any jumpers
    Another question: Did I need to partition and format the new drive before using the WinXP install CD, or could I have just done that from the XP install CD?

The XP install will force you to partition and format it...
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

Except that the CD showed up after I moved the hard drive cable from the Asus controller plug to the Promise controller plug, I didn't change any jumpers
    That didn't answer the question. Did you check the jumpers or not? If you have 2 drives on the same cable, they have both be CS or one master/one slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    That didn't answer the question. Did you check the jumpers or not? If you have 2 drives on the same cable, they have both be CS or one master/one slave.
    Yes they were jumpered as master and slave.

WD may have different settings for Master, Slave and Master with Slave present. Recheck the Master drive settings or as Midknyte also stated, set both to CS

Yes there are different settings for single drive Master and Master with Slave, I do have the proper settings. The 2 hard drives are on one cable and the CD Rom is on a separate cable, which is why I don't see why the hard drives make it disapear. I may try cable select to see what that does, but I still don't understand why things seem to work fine through the Promise controller but not through the Asus controller? I guess there is nothing wrong with using the Promise, though it does slow down boot time.

From the way you described it, i thought the cdrom and slave were on the same cable. That's the way you should do it anyway. Chances are that you will be transferring data from the primary drive to the slave or cdrom. You would want to have the drives on separate channels. Putting the primary and secondary hard drives on the same cable doesn't make sense, since IDE can only read or write at one time.

Yes I seem to remember something like that from years ago when I last installed a hard drive and CD drive. So in this case I should have the new drive set as master on it's own cable, the CD drive on a separate cable as master, and the old hard drive on the same cable as the CD drive set as slave?

You could have the CD or secondary hard drive be master. It doesn't make a diff.

... Asus A7v133a ...
    If intending to use onboard IDE connector,
    A7V133 model requires BIOS version 1008 as a minimum for 48bit Large HDD support.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I'm running BIOS 1009. For some reason I just can't seem to boot off the CD So right now I'm in the middle of trying to use a WinME boot floppy with smartdrive to access the i386 setup folder and it seems to be working. We'll see what happens.....

The floppy boot disk did the trick. Don't know why the CD was giving me problems but everything seems to be working.
    Installed SP3 update which seems to have slowed boot times bit, is that normal?

Thread Information