hard drive full, hardly any files showing
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: hard drive full, hardly any files showing

hard drive full, hardly any files showing

I'm trying to recover files for my brother who accidently partitioned his hard drive while reinstalling windows, wiping out his entire drive.

I'm trying to recover his files to one of my free hard drives, using Handy Recovery. When I check properties of the drive now it says... 197 gigs used of 183 gig hard drive. However I only see 484 megs of files.

I have one folder in this drive named recovery. It was an empty drive. I have it checked to show hidden files and protected OS files too. I see nothing more than 484 megs used. No swap file or anything there.

I did a scandisk, had to reboot to do it. Still nothing. It's showing in disk management as 183 gigs and healthy. NTFS formatted. I just recently formatted the drive using Acronis True Image. There doesn't appear to be any problems with the drive. I'm stumped. I never had this happen before.

eta: recyler is empty too.
    Last edited by itslate; September 27th, 2008 at 02:00 AM.
    TO ERR IS HUMAN BUT TO REALLY FOUL THINGS UP REQUIRES A COMPUTER

Not familiar with what Acronis wil show you, but I often use a live linux cd to check out a drive, using Gparted (Gnome Partition Editor). Once the OS is set up from the cd, Gparted is a full GUI partition tool and it will show you everything that's on the drive. Ubuntu has it, and some others will, like SystemRescueCd will. They can read ntfs files as well as linux file formats. I was getting confused as to whether the disk giving you grief was your brother's or yours.
    Last edited by DanceMan; September 27th, 2008 at 04:08 AM.

Your bro smoked the MBR, so Handy Recovery wouldn't do much. From what I recall, Handy is to undelete files, not recovery lost partitions.

You can try PCinspector.
    http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file...htm?language=1

It was my hard drive that wasn't showing the files. Where I was recovering the lost files to. I've been here recently complaining of bad hard drives and thought OH no, not another one .

I think maybe it's just a stupid mistake on my part running Handy Recovery? Hopefully a problem with the software. Maybe it was confused and caused the problem? I can only hope.

When you mentioned recovering lost partitions I see that I ran it on the new partition. Which for some reason my brother partitioned into two drives (I'll bet unknowingly). Handy Recovery can find partitions... and I'm scanning the older full partition. This will probably take another full day. I'll let you know how it goes .

I deleted those 480 Megs of files, and it's now showing my hard drive to be empty? For some reason those 480 Megs of files were reading as 197 gigs. Do you think I'm headed in the right direction recovering the partition?

Quote Originally Posted by itslate
    I deleted those 480 Megs of files, and it's now showing my hard drive to be empty? For some reason those 480 Megs of files were reading as 197 gigs.
    I suggested using a good partition tool so you could get an accurate view of that drive, and then repartition or format if necessary. I'd be a little leery of using it until it had passed the manufacturer's test utility. I usually wipe a drive like that with Dban and then repartition and format it before using. It's not necessary, but I feel more comfortable when an older drive has been both thoroughly tested and returned to a clean state.

I was replying to your post Danceman the other day, and checked my hdd size by right clicking, and up came a BSOD that quickly rebooted my computer before I could read what it said.

I ran a thorough test on the drive with Seagate tools, it's a Maxtor drive. It showed no problems.

I reformatted MY hard drive (the one reading incorrectly) and now I'm only recovering one file folder at a time in Handy Recovery. (I think it was a combo of both the hdd and the software) I believe it had something to do with Handy Recovery caching the entire file before writing it. When I try to recover the entire drive in one click it screws up, like it doesn't recover each individual file one at a time... it's working now, just taking forever.

It doesn't look good as far as recovering either. The files it did recover, the needed ones, most were corrupted. I'll be sure to tell my brother, to back up and keep the data files on a different partition. What a pain going through the entire C drive of recovered files, when most are program files, program pics, program text etc.

Handy Recovery really is a decent program too. I've recovered 150 gigs of pure data on mine (well it was deleted, not formated), that's why I purchased it a few years ago. Only problem is they were un-named lol. We all learn the hard way sometimes I guess.

Are there any super excellent recovery programs out there?
    Last edited by itslate; September 29th, 2008 at 03:39 PM.

Thread Information