[RESOLVED] C:/ unaccessible Access Denied
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] C:/ unaccessible Access Denied

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] C:/ unaccessible Access Denied

I have locked myself out of C: drive. I went to start, then to My Computer, then I opened all the files, from there I went to the security tab and set the permissions to deny eaacss to all others. When I went to get back on
    c drive I started recieving the access error. How do I undo the permissions, I cannot open C: at all.

you should rarely use deny since it will override allow settings in other groups. Next time, you should just uncheck the allow side of permissions.

ERD Commander can reset permissions. Microsoft bought out Sysinternals and change ERD Commander to MS DaRT. You can download the free 30 day trial version.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

You should be able to recover from this using Windows Explorer. Follow the instructions in KB 308421 to take ownership if necessary, then remove the Deny permissions. Even though you can't view the contents of C:, right-click | Properties should still work.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

I figured he already tried that, but I shouldn't assume.

I am unable to download anything to Documents or C:/ so going to Microsoft/downloads will not work. Right clicking on C:/ from My Computer dose nothing, I have to bring up device manager and it gives me a : My Computer not responding.

Did you try the Take Ownership method from the link Tuttle posted?
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

You need to download and run the setup on another system. Then you'll have to burn the iso to a CD, then boot from the CD.

Instructions
    Please download the evaluation version and execute the resulting file. Once complete, burn the resulting ISO image to a CD for use with a physical system

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout
    I am unable to download anything to Documents or C:/ so going to Microsoft/downloads will not work. Right clicking on C:/ from My Computer dose nothing, I have to bring up device manager and it gives me a : My Computer not responding.
    What if you open the My Computer node, click on (but don't open) C:, and then press Alt-Enter?

There's no reason why Explorer itself should be freezing like that when it doesn't have permissions (I killed a virtual machine to test it), but a shell extension in the right-click menu might be giving you grief. Alt-Enter should go straight to the Properties screen and bypass that.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

"RESOLVED'' was able to get a copy of ERD COMMANDER and reset permissions. Thanks to everyone that gave advice.

Thread Information