DVI to HDMI ..can I splice in my digital audio somehow?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: DVI to HDMI ..can I splice in my digital audio somehow?

DVI to HDMI ..can I splice in my digital audio somehow?

HDMI has digital audio, I have DVI to HDMI cables already. I have a half-baked idea to also splice in my digital audio from PC side so I don't have to use a separate audio system from the HDTV. Pinout diagrams for the HDMI seem obtuse. Any ideas or pointers welcome.

Main Workhorse

ASUS P5K-E Wifi, Q6600
    Back-UPS RS 1500VA, Enermax EG565P-VE
    4x OCZ2G8004GK (8Gb)
    1x 8800GTS, 40" HDTV
    6x WD10EACS (6Tb total) in trayless removable SATA bays
    1 Super Multi LG GSA-2166D DVD (Lightscribe), USB
    1 LG CRD-8521B CD, Firewire enclosure
    1 Sony DVR-SON-BR-5100 BluRay, USB enclosure
    Logitech 650 Cordless Desktop
    Combo Floppy/8-in-1 media reader
    Multibooot(GRUB):XP Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 8.04 64bit, FreeBSD 7

Laptop

Gateway MT6711

Unfortunately I don't think it's that simple -- the extra features in HDMI over DVI were added by extending the protocol rather than adding more pins. There's nothing to splice into, in other words.

The Wikipedia article goes into some detail on the communications, and I'm sure the HDMI 1.3a spec will fill in the rest of the gaps, but I don't think it'll be easy.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Some HDTV's will have separate analog audio jacks for one of the HDMI inputs. Just run analog audio out of your PC using a standard headphone jack to RCA adapter. Analog audio is more than good enough for TV speakers.
    Linux Ubuntu, 4850e, 2GB Ram, ASUS m3n78-vm, 19" Dell CRT Flat Screen, NEC 1300a DVD burner.

Just went through this

Hi,

I just went through this myself, and I too had an 8800GTS. I sold it and bought an ATI Radeon HD4830 for $100 shipped (brand new). I'm a nVidia guy all the way but ATI has an adapter with many of their Radeon video cards that is a DVI-to-HDMI adapter. This adapter will pass both the audio and video signal, and the audio is in the HDMI uncompressed 7.1 surround sound format. I don't have my system completed yet but I have read all over the net that these cards do a wonderful job of doing what I have described. Best of luck ~

Cheers,
    ultrapain

Thread Information