Trying To Recover Data
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Trying To Recover Data

Trying To Recover Data

Hi all, I need to get data off a 2.5" IBM Travelstar IDE hdd from a laptop that blue screened to a 3.5" hdd. The desktop has 2 hard drives in it. A Seagate (master, jumpered) and a Maxtor (slave, not jumpered). I attached the 2.5 to the 2.5/3.5 adapter, and then the adapter to the Maxtor's IDE cable, and power. Did it 3 ways:unjumpered, jumpered as slave and jumpered as cable select. All three with the same results: "unknown device" for both Pri drive 0 and pri drive 1. Checked the BIOS, boot order is correct-HDD/CD-ROM. I tried it with a HDD from another laptop that had no problems, with the same results. Does this mean the IBM is a paper weight? And/or I scrammed the known good hdd-when I put it back in the laptop it came from, I seemed to be having the same problems. Ive used this same Dimension 4300 to do this in the past and it worked. Please help the handicapped.
    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

why don't you just disconnect the cdrom and put the laptop drive on the secondary channel?

Beacuse I have to do everything the hard way What I got sucked into was 'there must be something wrong, I've done this the same way before and it worked. What is the *#@*^ problem?' Thanks for the ice water to the face. Thats better. I'll get right back to ya...

WOW, that was along time ago. I got sick and in the hospital. The drive has failed mechanically or electically. It has stopped spinning. Short of a forensic recovery (cost a fortune) is there anything I can do?

"IF" Windows can see the drive so can "data recovery" softwares.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

Nothing can see the drive. It wont even spin up.

If you can find an identical drive you can try to trade out the PCB to see if you can get the disk to spin up again.
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

Yeah buddy! Identical 'donor' drive $130, good how-to here. And if I wanna really get jiggy, I can swap platters from the donor drive. I dont know if I even got the right tools. <whew>...Now if I could only find the jump drive I backed up those files to...

Quote Originally Posted by skippie
    Yeah buddy! Identical 'donor' drive $130
    Exactly, it would have to be some very vital data in order to go that far!
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

Pictures of my dog. Actually, I should try it just to see if I can make it work. I talked to these guys. $350 at the very least, probably more like $500 from what the tech said. But the eval is free.

Their site mentions that "A desperate action to remedy a data loss issue can often compound the problem, with a serious possiblity of causing irreversible data loss." Hmm, I wonder if what I've done so far counts as "desperate".

$350 at the very least, probably more like $500 from what the tech said.
    And no Guarantee either I bet.
    Do you still have the dog?
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

Of course, no guarantee. Yes, I still have the dog. I know, I can take more pictures, but these were priceless. Also, my notes from my subatomic particle physics experiments were on that disk.

Thread Information