Error message when removing USB drive
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Error message when removing USB drive

Error message when removing USB drive

Clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware' icon in the system tray, I get this error message;
    An exception occured when trying to run shell32.dll, Control_RunDll hotplug.dll
    Then I receive another meassage;
    Run DLL as a App has encountered a problem.....
    I believe Kaspersky was responsible as I couldn't click through the allow/deny boxes that poped up when I went to remove my USB flash drive. I choose 'allow' to all those popups.
    I have disabled Kaspersky, but no difference.

The drive seems to usually show up in 'My Computer', but either when I click on that icon w/o the drive inserted, or after I 'stop' that device and remove the drive I get that message.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by videobruce; July 18th, 2008 at 08:59 AM.
    When not in use, turn off the juice.
    Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill.

Following found in the web:

You may try reregistering Shell32.

Start>Run>REGSVR32 SHELL32.DLL

Then it looks like sfc /scannow.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I had the same thing happening since last year, but since my devices were still working fine I chalked it up to the flakyness of my Windows install and ignored it for a while. Then I got fed up last week, googled a bit and found an answer :

In my case it was caused by Acronis True Image. If you have it installed, or any variant (DiscWizard, MaxBlast, etc.) follow these steps to solve the problem :

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showt...=176066&page=5

Thre's no patch that I know of. Just right click My Computer and select Properties, select Hardware, Device manager, select View, select View Hidden Devices, and then for each Genric-volume entry under Storage Volumes, right click and select update and let windows try to find a better driver for the Generic volume. If windows says it doesn't a better driver, that's okay, but it will probably update at least one of the entries. Then close down the device manager and reboot. Prob should be gone.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

I did see reference to that program, but that isn't in use here.
    When not in use, turn off the juice.
    Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill.

Thread Information