More proof a good graphics engine is just as essential as the latest hardware
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: More proof a good graphics engine is just as essential as the latest hardware

More proof a good graphics engine is just as essential as the latest hardware

Yesterday a friend of mine sent me a link to a game called The Conduit (You can google it, unfortunately any game and media sites are blocked at work) When I first started watching the footage I thought another PS3 or 360 title until a developer mentioned...it's for the Wii.
    I couldn't beleive that a game could look THAT good on THAT system. Well, Metroid Prime 3 comes to mind. I do own one and a PS3. I consider the Wii to be my fun console and the PS3 to be the eye candy machine. Guess the line has been blurred now to some extent.
    The developing company, High Voltage, has created a game engine called Quantum3 specifically for the Wii. My personal opinion is that the Wii has been type-cast if you will, as a kiddie console not capable of advanced graphics. Even if the game doesn't do too well the game engine should be a great push for better looking games and hopefully get other companies using this engine or creating new ones.
    Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 | AMD X2 5400 Windsor 2.8GHz | 4X 1G G.Skill DDR800 | Sapphire 4850 512MB | 3X 320Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA | Corsair HX520 PSU | Asus E616A3T DVD-ROM| Pioneer DVR-116 | Logitech G7 | Nostromo n52 | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer |Creative Gigaworks T20 | Samsung 226BW 22" | Acer 1917LA 19" |Dual booting XP Pro SP3 and Vista Ultimate 64 bit

I'd like to see more development for the wii also. I finally played a few games on one a couple of weeks ago and really like it. Since this is in the wings I'll probably pick one up
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

there's a good selection of screens on this page.

Those are probably the best graphics I've seen on the Wii, but I'd say they're still only on a par with something like Doom 3.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Wii is fantastic, and I would never dismiss it as being 'just for kids', but the PC was doing graphics like that 3 years ago.

Nevertheless, I wholly agree that graphics aren't everything, and the way the Wii has proven that by opening up gaming to a whole new audience has been a breath of fresh air. Its original codename ('Revolution') looks pretty apt now
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Looks like it could use some FSAA. The Wii/Gamecube can make decent graphics, but there are still some things lacking that could really help.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

I know. Not awesome graphics but pretty good for what's under the hood. Some games, like Alone In The Dark 5, could have look much better but the Wii graphics looked like it was a game that was developed about 10 years ago and recently dusted off and ported for the Wii.
    Three does have good points but at least to me, I don't think it lacks that much. Sure, the graphics are no MGS4 but to me they look pretty good.
    Wii uses an ATI graphics chip but I don't know the specs of it and what is can do. Compared to the 360 or PS3 of course there's major differences but it shows some developers still try to make the most of what is avaiable.
    Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 | AMD X2 5400 Windsor 2.8GHz | 4X 1G G.Skill DDR800 | Sapphire 4850 512MB | 3X 320Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA | Corsair HX520 PSU | Asus E616A3T DVD-ROM| Pioneer DVR-116 | Logitech G7 | Nostromo n52 | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer |Creative Gigaworks T20 | Samsung 226BW 22" | Acer 1917LA 19" |Dual booting XP Pro SP3 and Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Yeah the graphics looked something like what the pc did with Doom 3, but they are a lot better than other games I have seen on the Wii.

Maybe this is a sign of whats to come for the Wii.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Thread Information